Chapter 13: School

The end of August slid into the first week of September, where I was openly cursing the thought of going back to school.

        "I hate that place," I muttered to myself while sitting at the breakfast table. My dad folded down the newspaper, glancing at me with a sly expression. He was really getting pure entertainment out of this.

        "You have two years left. When it's over, you'll wish you could go back," my mom's voice fluttered to my ears as she held my plate in the palm of her hand like a waitress. She put it on the counter hastily, trying to pull away from the syrup covered waffles before they got on her pants.

        "Yeah, yeah," I mumbled, knowng that I'd heard it all before. Everyone always told me how much you learn to appreciate high school after it's over. But I was just beginning to get out of that bland school. Everything about it reminded me more of a prison than it does somewhere to learn.

        I stuffed a few poeces of waffle into my mouth, swallowing them in silence as my mom and dad drank their coffee and readied themselves for work. I barely found the need to listen to their conversation about things that didn't concern me.

        I heard the faint beeping of a car after moments of dazing, knowing that Nolan was waiting outside for me. My dad's eyes narrowed as I stood up, picking my bag up off the floor and putting it over my shoulders. I avoided his gaze, knowing that it wasn't my outfit which consisted of at-shirt, shorts and black sneaker, but for my boyfriend. Did I mention that my dad never really did warm up to Nolan?

        "Be safe," he spoke sternly. I waved him off by giving him a kiss on the cheek, and walking towards the front door. Once outside, I felt the morning heat and let out a pained breath. I hated to be in school when it was still this hot outside.

        I hopped into Nolan's car, and he pulled out of the driveway easily. He tried to make conversation, but I was just too tired to even bother keeping up with him. A lot of it was about football, and how his coach was making them practice every singled day for three hours so they can make it to states. I nodded along, telling him that it stinks that I wouldn't be able to see him as much. He agreed, and the rest of the car ride was silent. I didn't bother to notice if it was awkward or not, all I knew was that I wanted to crawl back into my bed and sleep.

        Once we pulled up to the school, and got out of the car, I laced fingers with Nolan, and we walked up to the entrance of death row. I gripped my schedule in my fingers, rolling my eyes at the girls that were caking on makeup and even sporting heels. I know people say to put your best foot forward, but God, these girls act like we're attending some night club.

        "This is lame," Nolan murmured, mostly to himself. But I nodded, feeling his pain.

        I knew this school like the back of my hand, and separated from Nolan when the first bell rang. I offered my lips lazily to him, and he took the opportunity to wrap his fingers around my waist, drawing me in close and presing his mouth tightly on mine.

        I only let him kiss me for about three seconds, before pulling away subtly. He always hated how I didn't like kissing him like that in public. I guess it was okay if we were just with friends, or saying goodnight to each other, but we were in the middle of school. There were teachers and other kids around that I didn't need talking about me for kissing my boyfriend in the center of our schools atrium. He let out an annoyed breath, letting me know he'd see me after third period, when we'd go to lunch together. We both had already figured out that the only class we had together was lunch.

        I still hadn't seen Veronica, Charlotte, or any of the other girls. I was sure to be without them until at least lunch. Even if I despised school, I was good at it. I tried in all my classes, and I would like to think that I was pretty smart. The only thing school related that I ever enjoyed was seeing my class rank increase with each year, and soccer season.

        My first class was AP English Literature. I always loved English, so it was never a problem for me. I knew that Veronica and the girls would never want to take an AP class; it was too much work for them. So, they insisted on taking A and B level classes.

        I've had Mr. Hurley in the past, and he was a tough teacher to say the least. Quizzes and tests nearly every day, but I learned to be used to it and accept the challenge.

        He was this tall, lanky man that looks like he was the nerdy kid in school. He had these awkward stances, but he adored English. He was almost cute, just in the way he reminded me of a lost puppy. I actually enjoyed his class because he knew how to teach.

        "Nice to see you in my class again, Kara," he gave me an awkward smile from behind his desk, and I grinned back, thanking him. I was glad the girls were never given the chance to have him as a teacher. I knew Veronica, and she would tear him apart because he was so diferent. I would have felt too terrible to ever face him again if that were the case.

        Students were filing in front and behind me. It only took a moment to realize that we had assigned seats by the pieces of white paper on top of the desks. They went in alphabetical order; it was just the way he liked it. I remembered it from last year.

        "Please, take your seats," Mr. Hurley's voice was barely audible, but most of the class moved nevertheless. I was in the second row to the far corner, not minding that I was sort of forgetting about. I regretted it when I realized that Rian, his long hair curling around his forehead and ears was smiling at me. I can never forget how nice that smile really way.

        I kept switching my schedule, trying my hardest not to be in classes with Rian or Zack. It was too difficult to be two different people, and I was just trying to keep myself out of trouble with Veronica for a while. As far as I was concerned, she was still stiff about the guys, and I was hoping she would back off when she saw that I didn't even work with the boys.

        I gave him a weary smile and a mall wave, before pulling out my binder to distract myself. I couldn't help but notice the way he sat down next to me, and I cursed silently. His last name started with a "D" too.

        "Morning class, my name is Mr. Hurley, and these will be your seats for the remainder of the semester." Mr. Hurley annouced as the class settled down. I felt my heart speed up, slumping into my chair mid panic mode. Next to Rian? All semester long?

        Rian wa spulling out a binder from his backpack, not noticing me look at his profile in confusion, fear and complete worry. But it wasn't fear that I had of him, he wa smuch too kind to be scared of. If anything, he was a gentleman.

        What I was terrified of was my friends, and what they would do if they discovered I was within a five foot radious of one of their enemies for an hour, five days a week, for the entire school year.