Chapter 34: Lie

"Where the hell have you been? I barely see you anymore." Veronica made herself at home at my island. She was munching on the chips that I'd left out. I felt myself clear my throat, leaning my head into the sink to wash my cup slowly. My mouth was full of carrots that I'd had with my lunch. I didn't want to speak to her. It seemed like there was too much to lie about.

        "I've just been busy with school, work and stuff. My AP classes are killing me," It was only an exaggeration. Those classses were bugging me, but I wasn't going to tell her that I was alays doing work. I just have to be vague. Maybe she wouldn't notice.

        "I don't even know why you take those stupid classes," she rolled her eyes, obviously turned off by the thought of work. She acted like it was bad that I challenged myself in school. "Wish you were there at the sleepover last night. Sophia couldn't have been more annoying," she rolled her eyes.       

        "What was she doing?" I asked, looking over my shoulder, trying to dry my hands on the towel that was folded over the side after placing the cup on the drying rack.

        "She wouldn't stop whining about Tim, and how he hasn't called her back. I mean, she was just hooking up with Keith last week. She was acting like she was like, the hottest thing and he should have been talking to her. Uh, hello -- she isn't that pretty, and Tim is gorgeous."

        I almost gaped at her, the way she was speaking about Sophia, one of her best friends. Did she ever talk this way before? I don't recall her being this wicked about her best friends. I kept my mouth shut, gritting my teeth against each other.

        I loved Sophia like my sister, just as I did Charlotte, Jay and Ava. I knew that I complained about Veronica, but what she was saying about Sophia was cruel. Maybe I'm just as bad, maybe I'm just like her.

        I shook my head at the thought, pulling my phone from my pocket. I noticed I had a text that I missed. I flipped open my phone, noticing the name and smiling to myself -- Rian.

        Hang out after work Thursday at my house?

        I grinned to myseld, leaning against the counter and texting back quickly.

        Why certainly sir, my shift ends at 5. Pick me up afterwards? (:

        I was trying to be more careful about hanging out with Rian, or at least now I was going to be. When I got home from their show, Charlotte messaged me and told me that I was an idiot and that she saw me at the show. She said I was lucky as hell that Veronica hadn't seen me. Her language was vulgar, and she was clearly upset. I felt awful, I really did. It wasn't fair to her, but I didn't want to tell  her -- she forced herself into my house the night she found out.

        I set my phone on the counter, standing up straight and moving to the fridge to grab a bottle of water. I pulled one out, trying to open the cap wth one hand.

        "Who are you all giggles about?" Veronica asked, as I looked at her. I held my breath as she picked up my phone. My throat closed; my eyes going wide as she opened my phone, like she owned it. Shit.

        "Ron, stop. You know I hate it when you just go through my phone," I muttered loudly, closing the fridge and reaching for my phone. She jerked it away, holding the phone away form me so she could read it. I continued to complain, and she laughed when she enjoyed how flustered I was getting. "Come on, Ronnie. Cut it out!"

        "Who's Robert, and why are you guys getting together?" Veronica asked intrigued, eyes greedy for details. I sighed deeply, snatching the phone from her, momentarily forgetting the smart choice of labeling Rian by his nickname. No one knew his real first name, so she never would've guessed.