Chapter 37: Complicated

For nearly two hours, Rian and I didn't move. I easily grew comfortable lying next to him, and he clearly felt the same because he made no effort to change his position. I was happy about that. I liked the way his hand was holding mine and the way his body was pressed against mine.

        When his dad called us downstairs to eat, we both hesitated, reluctant, almost, to leave his room and end our conversation. When we stood up, he took my hand again and led me down the stairs in silence. When we neared the table, however, my hand fell back to my side.

        Rian's dad was bringing in a plate of grilled chicken. When he noticed me he smiled, only glancing away for a moment to put the plate down in the center of the table.

        "You must be Kara, it's nice to finally meet Rian's girlfriend," he grinned, looking at his son as he mentioned his name. I blushed the same way I had when his mom had assumed I was his girlfriend, and Rian groaned beside me again.

        "I told you, they're not together," his mom said quickly, brushing past witha bowl of vegetables.

        "Oh, it must have slipped my mind," his dad shrugged. "Well, sit down," he said, opening his hands to the table.

        "Sorry again," Rian whispered in my ear as he stepped forward to pull my chair out for me. I smiled, looking up at him.

        "It's okay," I said softly, "Thanks." I settled myself into my chair, looking at Rian as he took his seat next to me. He caught my eyes, grinning even wider. I could see his parents share a look, questioning our denies that we were in a relationship.

        Maybe it could appear as if we were together. His parents had seen us holding hands and smiling at each other like we didn't even notice they were there. We were hanging out more often than I hung out with my best friends, despite the fact that we honestly haven't known each other for very long.

        Maybe, a part of me liked Rian, too. I liked him as a friend, definitely, but today, I felt there might have been something moret here. I liked when he held my hand and stayed next to me. I liked how much I enjoyed being with him and his friends at their practices. There really was a lot that I found I liked about him, but when the thought crossed my mind, it was joined by something else that I didn't want to think about.

        Veronica, Ava, Sophia, Charlotte and Jay.

        If they ever found out I communicated with Rian, I knew our friendship would be over. Thankfully, they still didn't know we shared English class, and I was hoping they never would.

        I couldn't even bring myself to imagine what would happen if they thought I liked Rian. In Veronica's eyes, it'd be a huge betrayal. I'd promised her that those boys weren't in my life, but at this point, I didn't think I could push them out, even for Veronica.

-------------------

        At the end of dinner, my stomach ached slightly from being full and laughing so hard. I already liked Rian's parents a lot; they were as easy to talk to as Rian was, and there wasn't a quiet moment while we were sitting at the table.

        While Rian and his dad were bringing the dishes to the kitchen sink, I lingered on the other side of the counter, watching. His mom came over to me while I was watching them, looking at me and leaning her hip against the counter.

        "You two aren't very convincing," she said softly, so only I could hear. I looked over at her, confused at what she was talking about.

        "You and Rian," she continued. "You act like a couple more than you think."

        "Oh," I said quietly, I wasn't sure what to say.

        "I think he does like you," she added, smiling happily. I swallowed, my mouth hanging open the slightest bit. What could I say to that?

        Thankfully, Rian walked over to us, saving me from having to respond to his mom. "I hope you're not scaring her away, mom," he said, glancing at me.

        "Of course not, I was just asking if Kara wanted to stay a little while longer for some dessert," she said, and they both looked at me. I glanced at the clock they had hanging on the wall, seeig that it was almost quarter past eight.

        "I'd love to, but I have a ton of homework to get done tonight, so I should probably be going," I said, and even though it wasn't a lie, I felt bad. Since I had work right after school, and after work Rian brought me here, I hadn't had the opportunity to do any homework. Part of me wished I could stay forever.

        "Oh, that's right. Rian probably has work of his own to do," his dad said from the kitchen.

        "It was nice to meet you both," I said, taking a few steps towards where Rian was standing.

        "It was nice meeting you too, sweetie, you're welcome here any time," his mom grinned, waving us off. I followed Rian out to his car, neither of us talking until we left the driveway.

        "I really love your parents," I said quietly as we drove down his street.

        "They seem to like you too," he said, and I smiled slightly, looking at his profile. He was smiling too. I wondered if what his mom said was true.

        "What?" RIan asked, glancing at me quickly. I shook my head, looking back out at the street before us. "What did my mom say to you?" he asked. I looked at him again and almost laughed, he actually looked worried.

        "It was nothing," I laughed lightly, but his eyebrows were still creased slightly like he didn't really believe me.

        "You looked like a deer in the headlights," he said. "Did she say something bad?"

        "No, no," I said quickly, shaking my head. "She just said that you might like me," I added slowly, watching his face. He nodded slowly, taking a turn before meeting my eyes for a moment.

        "And what did you say?" he asked.

        "Nothing, you came over before I could answer," I said.

        "What would you have said?" Rian wondered. I bit my lip and shifted, almost uncomfortable.

        "Would it matter?" I watched Rian press his lips together tightly, and I wished I hadn't said anyhting. I wished I hadn't said anything at all, because he wasn't saying anything back.

        "I'm not saying I don't," I started carefully. "But you know my friends, Rian. It's hard enough avoiding them to hang out with you now. If we were in a relationship, it'd make things even more complicated."

        "I know, I understand." Rian said quietly from beside me. He'd stopped the car at the end of my street and I hadn't even noticed.

        "Really? Because I don't want you to think I'm just using them as an excuse. It really wouldn't be easy and it wouldn't be fair to either of us."

        "It's fine, really," he said. I looked at him, trying to see something in his face that would tell me he was lying, but I couldn't. He looked and sounded hoenst, but I still felt bad. "See you tomorrow?"

        "Yeah, see you tomorrow," I pushed the door open, stepping into the cold air. I looked back at Rian's car before he drove off and then started up the street to my house. Everything was becoming so much more complicated then I'd wanted.