Chapter 58: Word

When I was alone in the library again, I slid down against a wooden shelf, surrounded by fallen books. I wrapped my arms around my folded legs, staring straight ahead with a blurred vision, letting Veronica's words hit me over and over again.

        I'd expect something worse that when I was with the guys, but her words still stung, creating a strong pinching feeling in my heart. I knew that I shouldn't let what she said bother me so much because it wasn't true, but hearing something like that from somebody you were close with for so long hurt a lot, and I couldn't get it out of my head.

        As I was picking myself up off the floor, the first bell rang, signaling lunch was over and the students could fill the hallways once again. I sighed, tucking my hair behind my ear before bending down to pick up the books Veronica had spilt all over the floor. I tried to put htme back quickly and in the right spot, but I just wanted to get out of the library. I wanted to be out of this school and at home, where I didn't have to face Veronica and all the peopel she'd turned against me.

        "Do you need help?" a voice asked suddenly, and I jumped, looking up so quickly my neck cracked and I winced in pain for a moment. I found myself staring uncertainly at a dark-haired boy in my grade but in none of my classes.

        "I think you have a death wish if you're talking to me," I said bitterly, picking up another book and searching for its place on the shelf. Despite my comment, the boy picked some books up off of the ground and started searching for their place.

        "I'm serious, you might be killed for being nice to me," I warned, only exaggerating a little. The worst Veronica could really do to him was make his life as bad as mine.

        "Then I'll die for doing a good dead," he shrugged. "I'm Kyle, by the way."

        "Kara," I muttered, even though I was sure he knew who I was. Who didn't, at this point? We picked up more books in silence, and as we reached for the last few he spoke again, watching as I turned to put one in the opposite shelf.

        "So where's your boyfriend and his friends today?" Kyle asked, picking up my backpack to hand it to me.

        "In New York for a meeting with their record label," I said miserably. I wanted to be happy for them, but I hated being stuck here in a place I didn't feel welcome in anymore.

        "And you're stuck fending off Veronica and her pack of wolves by yourself?" he assumed, and I nodded. The second bell rang, andI felt panicked that I was late while the boy in front of me remained perfectly calm.

        I started walking and he followed. I almost wanted to tell him to distance himself from me so he woudn't bring himself into Veronica's line of attack.

        "Aren't you worried about being late?" I asked, leaving the library for the almost deserted hallways.        

        "No, I should be leaving, actually. Doctors appointment," Kyle said, and I looked at him, wishing I was leaving too.

        He looked past my shoulder and then met my eyes again, his lips parting in preparation to speak, but the next voice I hear defiintely wasn't his.

        "God, Kara, are you realy tired of that band fag already? They're gone one day and you found someone else to drag down with you?" Veronica sneered, and I felt like a deer in the headlights looking at Kyle.

        "I warned you," I said softly to Kyle, feeling Veronica standing over me.

        "Did you get what you wanted out of him already? It took a lot less for you to sleep with him that it did for you to sleep with Nolan," she said, even if she was well aware of the fact hat I hadn't slept with either of them.. "Oh, wait..." She snickered.

        She stepped closer, standing an inch or two taller than me in her heeled boots. She wasn't giving me the option to say anything. I bit down on my lip, keeping her gaze, only half-aware that Kyle was still standing beind me.

        "...you didn't sleep with either of them, did you?" she mused, her lips turned into a smirk. "That bit of information isn't too important. It's your word against mine. Who do you think they'll believe?"

        She stepped back, her eyes dancing over my shoulder to where Kyle was standing, and then she met my gaze again, giving me another glare before walking past me, knocking her shoulder into mine so I stumbled back a step.        

        I sighed deeply, trying to keep tears at bey as Kyle moved to stand in front of me. I bit down on my tongue, listening to him.

        "You're just going to let her do that to you?" he asked, sounding fturstrated, but he didn't understand. I couldn't fight back against Veronica, it was pointless. It was her word against mine, and she had the whole school at her heels.

        "There's no way to fight her," I sighed, shaking my head. I looked up at him, noticing his lips pressed together in a sad, tight line.

        "You could if you wanted," he pressed.

        "Look, I'm sorry you got dragged into this. I warned you, but I'm still sorry. These kids, they're not going to believe me over Veronica. They don't want to get on her bad side, so they're either going to ignore her or do what makes her happy so she pays attention to them. That's just how she works. Fighting back against her is really a waste of energy."

        I walked past Kyle without letting him say another word. I wished he hadn't offered to help me, because by this time tomorrow everyone would be talking about him. He'd be associated with me, and that was no longer a good thing.