Chapter 57: Useless

I forced my way past all of the students in the hallway, sure to keep my head lower than usual. The kids around me push their way into the lunchroom, moving quickly to get in line. I veered away from the crowd, continuing down the large hallway in the front of the school where the cafeteria was located. The voices faded as I walked further away, sighing in relief when I knew that there was no chance of being found down near the library. Veronica and the girls wouldn't come down here even if they were offered a million dollars.

        I brushed past the few wondering teens, all giving me off looks. They still couldn't seem to wrap their minds around the fact that I was one of the most hated girls in school. If you weren't Veronica's friend, you were nothing. But if you were on Veronica's bad side, you better pay attention to the sniper dots painted on your back.

        I turned the corner before pushing opnt e heavy doors of the place I had learned to enjoy over the last few years. I couldn't even begin to explain how much this library has saved me over the years. I never really appreciated it and all its glory when I was in a rush, or distracted by the fact that Rian used to sit next to me on a computer when we weren't allowed to be friends.

        It was the largest room in the building, and the schools prized possession. It has two stories, a very simple staircase on both ends of the rectangular room. There were computers lined the far back corner, creating an "L" shape from the odd numbers. Bookshelves were scattered around, along with many large, comfortable seats and a few tables towards the large, back window. You could get lost in a library like this, it was something I did often.

        I strolled to the librarian's desk and the book check out at the left of the door. When I walked around the corner, she was packingup her stuff. I felt my eyebrows come together in confusion when she gave me a smile. I knew Mrs. Litwinovich well, she was the sweetest lady in the entire world.

        "I'm sorry, Kara. The library's closed this lunch. I have an appointment that I need to get to," She fixed her thin glasses on her nose, peppered har pulled into a clip at the back of her head. I gave her a teasing poud, biting the inside of my mouth when she spoke again. "Did you need something?"

        I paused, tilting my head to the side, trying to find out the way to explain it. "I was sort of hoping to um, hide out in here?? It's just for two days. My uh, friends are gone until Wednesday and I have some problems with girls in my lunch," I said softly, looking around the room.

        Her eyes fell slightly, and I could see the sympathy in her eyes. She thought about it for a moment, looking into my eyes before letting out a small breath.

        "How about I lock the doors, but you stay as long as you want," she gave me a warm smile. I sighed in relief, heart feeling one hundred times better.

        "Thank you so much!" I said gratefully, chest lighter and able to breathe.

        "If a teacher comes in, I don't know a thing," She winked, and I nodded. Anything for what she was doing for me. She was saving me from embarrassment.

        After thanking her multiple times, I offered to put away some of her books for her. I wasn't hungry, anyway. She took me up on that offer reluctantly, saying that I didn't need to do her any favors. But she had shown me the stack of books behind the large return table, briefly explaining where they had to go and if I wanted to stop I was more than welcome.

        It wasn't long before I was engulfed in the silence of the library, walking around the room and returning the books to their respective homes on the shelves around me. I had my iPod on, humming along to the soft rock that flooded my ears. I bobbed my head with the beat, whispering the words to myself.

        I felt alone, but with the music around me, it was alright. Ever since Rian left Friday after school, I wasn't sure how this would all go. I knew that I usually didn't see Veronica or any of the girls until I went to lunch, and if I could avoid them just for this hour, I'd be completely fine. Maybe Rian was right, maybe I was overreacting to the entire thing..        

        I suddenly felt the weight of the books in my hand pushed out of my grip and onto the floor. I followed them as they hit the ground with an echoing thud. My eyes traveled up the legs of a girl wearing dark skinny jeans and heeled boots. Her pink sweater clung to her body greedily, hands on herhips as she gave me a wicked smile. All of the girls were standing behind her.

        I didn't know what to say, because there weren't words. I opened my mouth, eyes wide. She stared at me, eyes murderous and plotting. Her teeth gleamed, fingers moving to her sides to cross ove rhe chest tightly.

        "What -- how did you guys get in here?" My vice squeaked with every word, and I knew how pathetic I sounded. I pulled out my headphones slowly.

        Ava and Sophia stood proudly behind Veronica with matching expressions. Jay and Charlotte hung back slightly, gnawing on the inside of her cheeks in uncertainty. I felt the tug at my heart, instantly annoyed at the fact that they knew this was wrong.

        "The librarian isn't as smart as you think," she said though her teeth, looking at the books that were on the ground. I hadn't realized how much my hands were shaking until I glanced down as well. "Are you going to pick those up, or what?"

        I bent down slowly, listening to her command without processing it. It was only a few moments when I stacked them on top of each other when I stood up again. I looked towards Veronica as she took a stp foward, pressing her hand to the top of the pile as they felt to my feet again. She followed her eyes with the motion of her hand, and I closed my eyes tightly.        

        "What are you guys doing here?" I whispered softly, glancing over each of their faces. I could feel the red rise to my face.

        "Just wanted to visit an old friend," Veronica said with biting sarcasm. Her fingers trailed across the side of the bookshelf, nails pulling at the bindings of the novels and watching them tumble to the floor. "I mean, why wouldn't we come visit you?"

        "Ronnie..." I started to talk, but she cut me off quickly, hand stalling on the bookshelf rigidly.

        "Do not call me Ronnie, you lost that right," she snapped. "Why would any of us consider being your friend after what you did to us?"

        "You lied to me, Veronica. You told me that he..."

        "Who gives a fuck if I lied to you!" She hollered, smashing the side of her hand to she bookshelf. It shook in rage, books falling from the shelves. "Alex and all his faggot friends were the only people I told you not to talk to!"

        "I didn't have a choice, there was no inbetween with you," I said, breathing out.

        "There was a choice, us!" She raised her hands, showing my previous frinds. Their glares were enough to send me to the grave. I hated them looking at me this way.

        "I just --" trying to explain anything to her was pointless. She cut me off every time I tried to talk.

        "You are by far the shittiest person I have ever met in my life. You don't deserve anyone, and you know it too," she hissed softly. "No one lies you, and Rian is settling for you because he feels bad for you. You're not worth a thing, you're useless. The rest of high school will be hell for you, I'll -- we'll make sure of it."

        Her words were simple, and seemed so pointless and stupid, something anyone could easily brush off without a problem. But they lingered, burning my heart and leaving my eyes welled with salty water as she sauntered off, satisfied with the way she tore me down.