Chapter 20: Best Friend

"And you two just broke up?" Veronica's voice was much too loud for me tonight. Especially when I had a headache, and my heart had this feeling like it was being twisted. It was uncomfortable, and I didn't like it.

        We were in my room, and she was sprawled on my bed, flipping through a magazine while listening to me talk. Veronica has always been really great at multitasking, or at least pretending to do something whil ebeing in the middle of something else. I wasn't sure if she was actually paying much attention to the conversation or not, but I didn't mind. I just needed to talk about it, no matter who it was.

        She seemed uninterested, but she had come over thirty minutes after she got home from wherever she was, well, whoever she was with. She broke up with Derek a day after the football game, and she had a date. So, I never knew what to make of it.

        "Well, yeah. It obviously wasn't going to work. He can't even stand being in the same classroom as those guys, and I can't always make people happy," I was fiddling with my fingers, sitting at my desk, moving from side to side in the chair. I lifted my hand, biting the nail of my index finger lightly.

        "Can you blame him?" She rolled her eyes. The Seventeen in her hand was an older issue, and I could tell she wasn't particularly happy about it. That wasn't a concern of mine. I stared at the ceiling, watching my fan rotate in circles.

        "He was more obsessed with hating them then he was about being with me. I don't -- I can't have all of that drama. It's too much for me," I sighed, chest deflating at the thought. I didn't like the way my heart tugged with the words, unable to control the pang of sadness that was pulsating throughout my body.

        Even if this was the right thing, I still cared about Nolan. I couldn't help myself, and it sucked.

        "You guys could have dated still. The reason why you broke up is kind of stupid," I knew that her words weren't supposed to sting, but they did.

        "I guess we were more different than we thought," I whispered quietly, biting the inside of my cheek as my hand fell to my side. I huffed out, looking over to her on my bed. She was still looking through the magazine slowly, feet twisting around each other. It looked like the shoot for a bed linen commercial, with her pouting lips, eyebrow raised at whatever she was reading.

        "Well -- fuck it, there are so many guys out there," she grinned at me, and I smiled back. This was the reason we were best friends. Even if others couldn't see it, there were those moments when I would know that there was a reason for us to stay as close as we are.

        "I know, but I gues it'll take a while to get over," I shrugged, sinking into my chair and crossing my legs once. My long, black yoga pants sat comfortably on my body, and a pull over sweatshirt sat on top of my torso. It had to be close to ten-thirty.

        "But you know, if you just put out in the first place he would have never bugged you so much about them," She was looking back through the magazine stating it was so obviously and simply that it was just too natural. I felt my eyes go wide at the thought. Why would that be a good reason to sleep with Nolan?

        "If sleeping with him made the arguments stop, then I wouldn't have done it anyways," I stuffed my hands into the front of my sweatshirt. She looked over at me like I had seven heads.

        "It's really not that big a deal. I don't know why you, Charlotte and Jay make such a big deal about the whole thing," I could tell by her words she was getting annoyed; it was obvious by the biting aftertaste of her words. Veronica had this way of being defensive when it wasn't necessary. I wasn't judging her for the things she did, but for whatever reason, she had this idea that I was constantly saying something about how she spent her time.