Chapter 16: The Football Game

The second week of school dragged on, seeming like it lasted forever. Maybe it was because it was our first full week, or maybe it was because of the lingering tension with Rian that was making one of my favorite classes miserable.

        When Friday rolled around, and I slid into Nolan's car, sighing about how happy I was that it was finally Friday, he added it up to the big game later. The first home football game, against one of our biggest rivals was tonight. I'd almost forgotten about it, almost. It was hard when every single day Nolan and his friends did nothing but talk about it.

        It was all he talked about on the ride to school that morning, and I tried not to act eager to leave the car. He stopped me form leaving in a hurry, saying my name as I reached for the handle.

        "Here," he said, reaching into the back seat. He brought his hand forward, holding out his red jersey, the one the team wore for away games. I took it, knowing without him saying anything that he wanted me to wear it.

        I tugged at my tank top, making sure it was pulled up enough before pulling my t-shirt over my head and slipping on his jersey. Nolan was smiling at me, watching as I stuffed my t-shirt into my bag. We matched now, me in his red jersey for away games and him in his white jersey for home games.

        "You ready?" I asked, resting my hand on the door. He nodded, slipping his keys onto his finger as we both exited the car.

        Nolan walked me to my first period class, but took a minute extra to pull my body against his, kissing me for longer than I would've liked. I couldn't tell if people were watching, but I felt my ears grow warm anyway, so I pulled away, taking a step backwards.

        "See you later," I smiled and Nolan disappeared into the crowd. I sighed and turned to go into the classroom, dreading the school day.

        It seemed to drag on longer than any other day had, and I was more than happy to be out of school. Sadly, it seemed like minutes instead of hours before my mom was dropping me off at Veronica's house. Her parents were out for the night, and she was driving Charlotte and me to the game.

        She greeted me at the front door, sporting short shorts and Derek's other jersey. Behind her, Ava was dressed the same way but with Jason's jersey, and Sophia, Charlotte and Jay were wearing shirts the school sold.

        "Well, let's go," she beamed, and the five of us filed out. There was about twenty minutes before the game started when we got there, but the bleachers were already packed with people, from both schools.

        The middle section was solely for students, sporting red and white and some with face paint. The right side held a fair amout of parents form our school, and the left side was crammed with the opponents fans because it was the only place left for them. They couldn't mix in with our crowds because we got wild. Football was everything around here.

        Veronica led us up into the bleachers, right in the middle of the school section. "Excuse me," she said, her voice a mix of fake politeness and venom. The underclassmen girls before her moved down, exposing a section of the bench for us to sit on. I felt bad for them almost, they looked scared of Veronica. It was sad to see, really.

        We stepped up onto the part that people were supposed to be sitting on because everybody else was. Nobody ever sat down at these games.

        "Ronnie!" Someone called out, and we all looked around, searching for the face. We all knew who it was, the voice was too easily recognized. The girl through herself at our group, desperately wanting to be friends with Veronica. Of course, Veronica told us constantly that she found her pathetic. I felt bad for her.

        Abbey appeared in front of us, a good foot shorter than us because she was standing on the part of the stands you actually stood on. We were standing on the seats. I watched, feeling bad as Veronica glared down at Abbey, gave her a pathetic attempt of a smile and then looked away. When Abbey glanced at me, I gave her a sympathetic smile before she turned and walked off.

        "Ronnie," I started, and she turned to me, an eyebrow raised in warning. I pressed on. "That was really cold," Veronica just shrugged, and then her attitude changed. She jumped up and down slightly, pointing at the entrance to the field.

        Our football team was lined up and the announcer had started talking. He made a short speech and then started calling names. He went through the teams, ending with the senior captains, Nolan, Derek and Jason. My ears rang with everybody's cheering and yelling, and I felt myself smiling. My favorite part of the year was the games: football, soccer, basketball, anything. We had the loudest crowd in the league, and we beat everyone, every time.

        A senior on the boys socceer team turned around to face the crowd and yelled a chant as the clock stared. We followed along, growing louder and louder and the other team kicked the ball. It soared right into Nolan's hands and he started forward immediately, sprinting past people.

        The chant turned into a mess of screams as people jumped up and down, shaking the bleachers and Nolan made it only fifteen yards from the endzone. In the next minute, he scored, resulting in a scream that could have woken the entire town.

        I jumped up and down beside Veronica, clapping and screaming so loud I was sure I'd lose my voice entirely by the end of the night.

        The seniors started another chant, one that was louder than before. The players on the sidelines waved their hands, encouraging us to keep going. The cheerleaders yelled with us, and the ones ont he other team stood still, hands clasped behind their backs.

        This team beat us last year and the year before, but the scores were always close. The game still had a while to go, a good start didn't necessarily mean a good finish.

        When the other team got the ball, they almost mimicked our team. Their player made it to about the twenty yard line, and their fans started cheering. Veronica shook her head, staring at the cheerleaders.

        "Their cheering is pathetic," she muttered, and I let out a short laugh, listening to my friend get into something that didn't involve her. She smiled back at me, showing that she wasn't necessarily all bad, well, at least for that moment.