Chapter 17: Morals

There was ten minutes left in the game, and we were up by one touchdown. The other team had the ball and they were steadily moving their way up the field. I'm pretty sure every person on these bleachers were holding their breath, unsure if they let it go, it'd give back luck to the team and cause them to lose.

        My eyes never left the field, I was too into it. Nolan was playing really great, and so wasn't the rest of the team. But it was something about the way that he was my boyfriend, that the jersey on my shoulders said his number, it just showed something. It meant something, even if it seemed stupid and unimportant. I enjoyed the way that girls saw my back, and searched for his number on the field. It showed that he was mine. "Kar," Veronica's voice pierced through my thoughts causing me to hestiate while watching the defense trying to sack the other teams quaterback. I tore my eyes away briefly, looking at her for two seconds.

        "Yeah?"

        "Does Sam Pierce have a girlfriend?" She asked, a small smile on her lips. I was confused, and I felt my eyebrows furrow in confusion. Why did it matter if he had a girlfriend? She was dating Derek.

        "I don't know, why?" I asked, looking back at the field, trying to locate the ball. I was half-listening, half-involved in the game.

        "He's gotten really hot," I felt my eyes freezing on the grass of the playing field. She was interested in the varsity soccer captain. My eyes wandered  to his group of friends, where he sat in his warm up's, light blonde hair swaying slightly in the September breeze. He was an attractive guy, but I wouldn't think that way of him anyway. I had a boyfriend, and so didn't Veronica.

        I finally looked over at her as she eyed him from afar, already zoning in on her prey. She might as well take Derek's jersey off he rback right now, because she was done with him from the moment she stopped watching the game to stare at the soccer star.

        "You're at Derek's football game, Ronnie," I stated, and instantly bit my tongue. It sounded rude, and I didn't mean for it to. It did though, and when her poison filled eyes dated towards me, I regretted it.

        "Who cares? It's not like we're even official," she flipped her hair over her shoulder, brushing off the comment like she was brushing off Derek's feelings. I knew that they were offocial; Veronica went into detail about how he asked her out after she snuck him into her house a few weeks ago. She was lying to me, and she was getting away with it. Whatever Veronica says, goes.

        I glanced to my side, knowing full well that Charlotte heard what Veronica said. She ignored it, continuing to cheer the boys on and avoid my gaze. I averted my eyes back to the field, clutching my fingers as I saw Veronica grab onto Sophia's hand, pulling her down towards the group of soccer boys.

        I tried not to look in her direction for the rest of the game, even when she tried to call me down. I was sure that she was just doing it while flirting, trying to tell some lame story to make the guy laugh. I'm sure he would laugh at anything she said. Any guy in their right mind would if Veronica was giving them the time of day.

        With a time out called, I crossed my arms over my chest turning towards Ava, jay and Charlotte for conversation. What I hadn't realized was that Ava had joined Sophia and Veronica moments before. I rolled my eyes at the three girls, with two of the three having boyfriends. I had a feeling that when Veronica ends things with Derek, Ava will follow shortly, breaking up with Jason.

        I felt bad for the guys, actually. They were nice most of the time. They were hardheaded like Nolan, but they were always kind to me. They nearly worshippped the ground that Ronnie and I walked on. They would never do anything to make them upset, and they really did like them. I felt awful that they were playing this game, trying their hardest to impress girls, to be enough for them, and they aren't even watching. They are flirting with a bunch of boys on the sidelines.

        "They're ridiculous," I muttered, shaking my head. Jay and Charlotte continued to stay quiet, shuffling their feet on the metal bleachers an dlook up at the sky that was beginning to change into shades of orange, red and pink. I rolled my eyes at them, unable to contain how mad I was.

        Why does it feel like I'm starting to question all of my best friend's morals now?

        The game ended two minutes after the timeout, and we won by three points. It was a small win, but a victor nonetheless. Almost immediately, the team and fans started filing out. I brushed past Veronica, unable to look at her. Instead, I walked towards the fence that surrounded the field, waiting impatiently for Nolan.

        His jersey and bottoms were stained green, and the war paint they had under their eyes was smudged from sweat that was visible on his forehead. He was smiling ear to ear, and I couldn't stop a grin from apearing on my face as he spotted me, and began running towards me.

        After he made it through the small entrance, he wrapped his arms around me in a very moist hug. I laughed as he dug his face into my neck. His helmet was in his hand, and it pressed into my back. "Good job, Nol. It was an amazing game."

        "Thanks babe," he smiled, kissing me again before pulling far enough away from me so I could look towards Jason and Derek, who were watching Ava, Veronica and Sophia with hard expressions. They were still chatting away, flipping their hair and giggling loudly. I was sure they hadn't even realized the game was over.

        I looked towards the guys, noticing them looking at each other, and then meeting my eyes. I gave them sympathetic looks, hoping they wouldn't let it get to their heads. They averted their gazes, looking at the ground and stopping awkwardly at the gate.

        I knew they were hoping the girls would notice them, and tell them how great they played.

        I also realized that they didn't want to believe what was happening; they didn't want ot know that their girlfriends were over them, they moved on and they were still together. They weren't going to say anything, because they didn't want to think that way. So, instead, they let them do what they wanted, walking over them like doormats.

        "That sucks," Nolan murmured, his lips touching my temple lightly. I let out a breath, nodding and looking up at him. Normally I would walk to the girls, and say bye. But, I suddenly realized I didn't want to say bye. I didn't care, because they barely cared about their boyfriends.

        "Let's leave," I offered, tugging on Nolan's hand towards the parking lot. He shrugged, willingly letting me pull him towards his car. When Veronica noticed I had just up and left, she'd be pissed. She would be insulted that I didn't say goodbye to her.

        I became conscious of the fact that I no longer cared, at least for now, her opinion didn' tmatter as much as it used to.