Chapter 56: Promise

I sighed, sitting at the counter after covering my mother's pies with cling-wrap and pushing them to the side as I finished. It was a task that I always got assigned after our thanksgiving meal and hated immensely. The wrap always got stuck to itself, and by the time I had one desert covered I had used half the stupid roll. I never understood why they always thought t was so funny to watch me struggle, but they always watched me while putting the other leftovers in containers. This time I was the last to finish, the only one in the kitchen when my family was in the den.

        We never did anything big for Thanksgiving. It was just my dad, my mom, Brenda and I. Most of our family lived in Massachusetts and it was quite the rid just to get together for a dinner. But I always liked it that way, it always made me realize how much I miss my parents and Brenda, even if I'm around them constantly.

        The door bell rang as I juggled with the chocolate and banana cream, and I smiled at the thought of who was at the door. I glanced down at my hands and down the hall towards the door for a moment before shouting that he could come inside. I managed to bump the refrigerator door open with my elbow and set the pies down where my mom had made room for them.

        The door opened and closed, and before I could turn around from putting the food into its correct places, there was a cold hand against the back of my neck. I cringed, shivering at the touch while a hearty chuckle broke through the silence. I turned around slowly, seeing a rosy cheekd Rian from the cold. I smiled at him, fingers falling over his hand, rubbing lightly while letting them fall to our sides.

        "Why are your hands so cold?" I asked leaning forward and pressing my mouth to his. He shrugged, his other hand lingering on my hip, mouth on mine. My heart tingled with a warm sensation, even with the refrigerator air cool against my back because of the open door.

        "it's cold outside," he teased me, pulling away and grinning. I rolled my eyes, pushing him away with a laugh before shutting the door and turning towards him again before crashing my lips to his eagerly.

        "Happy Thanksgiving to you too," he chuckled softly, pulling away much quicker than I would've liked. I licked my lips, looking into his light brown eyes. I had come to realize just how much I loved his smile.

        "Who's this?" Rian jumped away from me, hands falling to his sides while turning towards a set of eyes identical to mine. I rolled my eyes at his reaction, wrapping my arms around his middle while leaning my head against his chest.        

        "Rian," I said smiling towards her. She rasied her eyebrows, looking him over with a grin. I had told her all about him before, but this was the first time she actually got to meet him. He grinned at her politely while she walked around the other side of the counter to grab a cup out of the cupboard.

        "If I wasn't wearing a dress right now, I'd totally bow down to you for saving my sister from that bitch across the street," she turned on the faucet, watching the water fill the glass before shutting it off, taking a sip and turning back around.

        "Glad to be of service," he laughed softly, and she smiled back as she swallowed.

        "So what are you two love birds doing tonight?" She asked partly sarcastically. I rolled my eyes at her, pulling away from Rian slightly.

        "Getting as far away afrom you as possible." I beamed at her mockingly. She held her chest, a fake, pained expression etched on her face. She staggered away from the counter and towards the door without so much as spilling a drop of her drink.

        "Ouch, that really hurt Kara," she said with an exaggerated sigh. "I'm not sure how I'm supposed to come back from that one."

        "What can I say? I'm quick with the comebacks," I smiled, leaning my arm on the counter and watching her press her weight against the frame of the door. Rian's fninger brushed my hip bone and trailed around my back while walking behind me to sit down on a stool.