XX. SLUG CLUB SLUMP DOWN

SLUG CLUB SLUMP DOWN!

NOVEMBER 1976

6th Year

• • •

"Look at you." Bronwyn smirked, after Holland came out of their dorm bathroom.

"Don't make it sound like it's my wedding day." Holland laughed, looking down at her dark, floral blouse and black skirt. Professor Slughorn's dinner parties are, after all, a casual event. You would only really dress up if you were invited to one of his Christmas parties.

"Come on, Reggie's waiting for us downstairs." Bronwyn said, taking Holland hand and exiting the dorm together.

"Look at you." Regulus smiled upon seeing the two girls approach him.

"That's what I said." Bronwyn smirked slightly, making Holland blush.

"I'm pretty sure he was talking about you." The Irish girl said, as they excited their Common Room, beginning their walk to Professor Slughorn's office.

"I was actually talking about both you." Regulus said.

"Well, you look beautiful, too." Bronwyn told the boy, making her two friends laugh.

"Max is actually pretty upset that she's missing this." Holland said with a chuckle.

"What? An average dinner, followed by an average dessert as we listen to what Sluggie believes is a joke?" Regulus raised an eyebrow.

"Don't forget, with Max it's anything for a free dessert." Bronwyn reminded the boy.

Regulus nodded, "Good point."

***

Holland could feel the tension in the room. Or maybe she was just paranoid that she had to eat dinner sitting next to her boyfriend as both his and her best friend sat across from them and pretend to hate him for two hours. It also didn't help that she was also seated next to Lily and Margaret was only two seats down from her, as they dined around the round table.

"So, Miss. Sullivan, what is it your parents do in the Muggle world?" Professor Slughorn questioned the blonde, making her look up from her meal.

"Oh, well, my father is a firefighter and my mother is a nurse." The girl answered, making some of students, especially Holland as she was unaware of this fact, perk up slightly.

"And are they dangerous professions?" The Potions Master asked, intrigued.

"Oh, yes," Margaret nodded, making Slughorn smile even more in interest, "They risk their lives to save others practically every day."

"Fascinating," Professor Slughorn hummed, "And you, Miss. Ortolano, how is your father's job at the Ministry?"

"Brilliant, actually," Bronwyn nodded, he's actually been promoted to Senior Undersecretary to the Minister of Magic."

"Well, that's no surprise, your father was always a smart one," Slughorn chuckled, "Please be sure to give him my regards."

As dinner dragged on, Holland counted every slow, painful minute. However, a small smile spread across her face as dessert was being served, when she felt a large hand encase her own under the table, as Remus rested their interlocked hands on the girl's lap.

It got her thinking about what he had told her the other day, and what she discussed with Helena later that same night. She was beginning to think she knew, but a part of her was still scared and uncertain.

It was then that Professor Slughorn turned the topic of conversation to her.

"And how are your parents, Miss. Lux?"

"Oh, they're good," Holland nodded, "Father is still Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement at the Ministry, and mother still the Head of the Department of Mysteries."

"Fascinating jobs your parents have." Slughorn hummed, and continued talking.

Holland, however blocked him out, focusing on the calming feeling of Remus lightly rubbing his thumb on the back of her hand.

***

Entering their Common Room, Holland, Regulus and Bronwyn laughed as they imitated Slughorn, the three laughing way more than was actually necessary.

The laughter suddenly dies when Bronwyn's eyes landed on Maxine and Rosier - who had not yet noticed them - making out on the leather sofa.

Holland put her hand on the Beater's arm, "Bron?" She whispered, softly.

The girl didn't answer, instead she just shook her head and rushed up the stairs leading the their dorm. Holland gave a quick goodbye to Regulus, before rushing after her friend.

Opening the door to their dorm, Holland saw Bronwyn sitting on her bed, crying.

"Oh, Bron," Holland sighed, moving to sit beside the girl on the bed, encasing the upset girl into a tight hug, whispering reassurance in her ear, "It's alright, it's okay. I'm here. Ssh. I'm here. Always."