Moving Day

September 1984

     It was a very sunny day today in good ole Cali

It was a very sunny day today in good ole Cali. I'm not sure I'm going to like it here. I'm not the type of person who loves to surf and go to country clubs and all that.

Well, that's at least what I expected it to be like judging from all the movies I watch. At least the oceans were pretty.

"Alright guys, we made it." My mom said as we finally parked after driving for 10 hours. My brother, Frank, got out of the car first.

He was the most excited about this. I slowly got myself out of the car and helped my mom with the luggage.

I looked at the apartment and it was pretty boring, not really what I was expecting. But I guess it'll get the job done.

"Ok kids, can you guys get these bags and load them into our room, it's number 16." My mom says as she was grabbing more bags from the trunk.

"Sure." I say, my brother was already racing to the gate. I laughed to myself and followed behind him. Man, there's not even a pool?

My brother opened our door and threw the bags on the ground. I gasped and put my hand on my mouth.

"I know right!! It looks awesome." He says with a smile.

I shook my head, "No, I gasped because you probably just broke moms vases that were in that bag." I say disappointedly. His smile turned to more of a scared look.

"Oh, shoot." He says but then walked away. I rolled my eyes and checked to see if the vases were fine. Thankfully, they somehow were alright.

Mom came in and unloaded the bags. She smiled and looked around.

"Come on, I'll show you your room." She says to me. I smiled and stood up. I followed her down a hall and she stopped at a smaller room.

"Cool, at least I get my own room." I say with a smile. Back in Arizona, I used to have to share a room with my little brother. It's about time because I'm a senior this year, and he's going into freshman year.

"Thanks mom." I say and give her a hug. I know she's trying her hardest to make us both happy. She got a new job offer here, and it payed way more than her job in Arizona.

"Ok, I'm going to get your brother to help me unload some of the bags. Why don't you get some air, maybe take a walk around the neighborhood?" She offered as she put my bags in my room.

I nodded and smiled. I took my purse and walked out of the complex and out next to the street. I started to walk down the street opposite of where we came.

There was another apartment, it looked about the same as ours

There was another apartment, it looked about the same as ours. There was a kid unloading his car with his mom. He looked like he was struggling with some of his bags after his mom left to go inside.

I walked up to him, "Do you need some help?" I offered with a smile. He looked at me and smiled.

"Sure, thank you." He said with a little laugh. I got the bags out of his hands so he could hold his bike.

"Are you new here?" I asked as he started to walk towards a gate. "Yeah, we moved here from Jersey." He says. I nodded and smiled. "I actually just moved here too." I say.

His eyes widened and he laughed a little. "Really? When?" He asked. I laughed a little, "Like 5 minutes ago." I say as we stopped at the gate.

He laughed, "That's funny." He says. "What's your name?" He asked. "Serena, you?" I asked back. "I'm Daniel." He said and shook my hand.

I smiled and shook it as well. "Here watch out, I learned this move back in Jersey." He says too confidently.

I backed away a little and he karate kicked the door open. I was impressed until I heard someone from the other side fall and shout.

"Oh no, I'm so sorry." Daniel says as he went to help the kid he knocked down. The guy laughed a little and got up. "That's alright." He said.

I couldn't help myself but laugh. Daniel looked at me and then looked back to the guy. "Im Freddy. Are you guys new?" He said. We both nodded.

"I'm Daniel, and I just moved in." He says as he started to walk his bike into the gate. I followed them. "And you?" Freddy asked me with a smile.

"I just moved into that complex down the street, and my name is Serena." I say with small smile. He smiled and nodded.

Him and Daniel made small talk as we walked to Daniels room. I almost forgot why I was even here. Then I remembered that I'm carrying Daniels luggage.

"So there's a beach party tomorrow, it's like an end of summer celebration. You guys can come if you want, I could pick you both up?" He says. Me and Daniel looked at each other and nodded.

"I mean it doesn't sound like something to celebrate but I'm in." I say sarcastically. Freddy laughed awkwardly and smiled. "I'll go too." Daniel says.

"Cool, so I can meet you guys at the front of this building and we can go. Does 4 pm work for you guys?" He asked.

We both nodded. "Ok, we'll see you guys around." He says as he went off to do something else. I turned back to Daniel.

"Ok well I should probably get back, but I'll see you tomorrow." I say as I set his bags down.

He smiled and nodded, "Yeah, it was nice meeting you." He replies. I smiled and nodded. "You too, bye." I say and walked back down the stairs and to my new home.