XXIII. CHRISTMAS IN HOGSMEADE

CHRISTMAS IN HOGSMEADE!

DECEMBER 1976

6th Year

• • • •

Opening the door as Regulus, Holland and Bronwyn exited Honeydukes, the younger boy laughed, looking back at his friends.

"I swear all you ever get your sister as a gift are sweets." Regulus grinned, as the trio made their way through Hogsmeade, the white, fresh, crisp snow crunching underneath their feet with every step they took.

"It's all she likes," Bronwyn shrugged, "If I got Florence anything else she'd hate it."

Holland smirked, "Such an angelic name for such a devil." She mused.

"She's worse than a devil, trust me." Bronwyn chortled, making her friends laugh.

"The Three Broomsticks?" Regulus offered, gesturing to the turning in the path that lead to the pub.

"Lead the way, Reggie." Holland nodded, and the three made their way down the pathway, linking arms so that Holland was in the middle.

"Is that all your Christmas shopping done then?" Holland asked Bronwyn.

"I just need to find something for you." The girl laughed, looking at her Irish friend.

"Ooh, well, not to try and influence your decision or anything, but I could really do with some new quills or ink." Holland smirked.

"You know, I suddenly know what I'm going to get you." Bronwyn said in a dramatically shocked way, making her two dark-haired friends laugh.

"How extraordinary." Regulus smiled.

"I wonder what it could be." Holland chuckled, opening the door to The Three Broomsticks, escaping the brisk, cold air and venturing into the warmth of the pub.

Bronwyn and Holland sat down in a booth, as Regulus went up to the bar to order their drinks.

"So, where's Max?" Holland asked her friend.

"On a date with Evan." Bronwyn replied quietly, playing with her fingers.

"And how does that make you feel?" Holland questioned, softly.

"Better than before," The Beater nodded with a small smile, "I think I may need a little bit more time though."

"I'm glad to hear it." Holland smiled warmly, placing her hand on top of her friend's.

"Here we are." Regulus said with a sigh, placing four butterbeers down on the table.

"Since when did we have an imaginary friend?" The Lux girl questioned, making her friends chuckle.

"You don't mind, do you?" Maxine asked, walking up behind Regulus, "Evan and I were passing and I saw you guys in here, so I told him to go off with his mates, if that's alright."

Holland glanced at Bronwyn.

"Why wouldn't we mind?" Bronwyn spoke up, earning a proud look from Holland, "We are best friends."

Maxine grinned, as both she and Regulus sat down.

"So, anything new happen recently?" The redhead questioned, taking a sip of her butterbeer.

"I'm learning how to knit." Holland revealed, making her friends all chuckle, "What?"

"You're such an old lady." Maxine laughed, shaking her head.

"Grandma Lux." Bronwyn snorted in agreement, making Holland and Regulus laugh along with the other pair of best friends.

"Just watch, before you know it, Holland will start carrying loads of butterscotch around in her handbag." Regulus teased the girl, nudging her.

"Who says I don't already?" Holland smirked, gaining chuckles.

As her friends engaged in a conversation, Holland took a sip of her butterbeer, before eyes were drawn to the door of the pub opening, as four rowdy boys entered. A soft smile made its way onto her lips as she locked eyes with her boyfriend, the pair sharing a discreet look as the boy passed their table to get drinks from the bar for him and his friends.

"Ah! Holland!" A jolly voice cried, making the girl look away from Remus and at Professor Slughorn, who was heading towards her and her fellow Slytherins, who also looked up at the man, "Just the person I was wanting to see!"

"Good afternoon, Professor," The Irish girl smiled kindly at her Head of House, "How can I help you?"

"Well, this weekend I'm having another little Slug Club Christmas do and was wondering if you would be game?" Slughorn grinned.

"I'd be happy to attend, Sir." Holland nodded.

"Brilliant!" The Professor chortled, before turning to Regulus and Bronwyn, "And Ortolano? Black? How about you two?"

"Sure."

"Yeah, totally."

"Splendid, keep an eye out for my owl!" Professor Slughorn exclaimed, before turning to Maxine, "It's good to see you Conwie." He told her, before he doddled over to another group of students.

Regulus, Bronwyn and Holland snickered, glancing at Maxine, who looked back at them.

"You see, you're laughing now," The oldest of the quartet stared, "But who has to go to his little 'do'?"

"I actually don't really mind the Slug Club parties." Holland shook her head.

"Me either." Regulus agreed.

"They're actually sometimes kinda fun." Bronwyn nodded with a shrug.

"Oh, shut up, smart people." Maxine mumbled, sipping on her drink, looking away from her friends, who laughed at her, the redhead soon joining in.