chapter 13

we enter owen and charlie's apartment arguing over what we want to have for dinner. the moment i had with charlie still fresh in my mind. the tingly feeling left in my hands from being in his never leaving. what was that about? what did this mean? 

"olivia?" jer calls out for me, snapping me out of my thoughts. "what?' i asked confused as to what they were previously speaking about. 

"do you want to order pizza or mcdonalds?" jeremy asks me with concerned eyes. "oh pizza is fine." i respond. "i feel a little claustrophobic, im going to step outside onto the balcony for a bit." i announce before heading towards the balcony. 

the sun had just set and the city lights are twinkling all around. the air is crisp and smells like pine trees. everything calming me down instantly. i place my arms on the ledge of the balcony and rest against it. 

i hear the balcony door open, i turn and my eyes find charlie's concerned ones. 

"hey" he says closing the door. he had changed from his regular clothes into what i assume are his pajamas. his hair is messy and he's pulling on the sleeves of his long sleeved shirt, giving him sweater paws. 

"hi" i say, turning my head back towards the view of the city. i feel him walk towards me, he stands near me while still giving me space. 

"this view is amazing, isnt it? you can see everything from here." he says in a soft voice. 

"yeah, it makes me feel small but it calms me." i tell him truthfully. he turns his head towards me, i keep my gaze looking towards the city. 

"olivia im sorry if i overstepped. we're just starting to be friends again and i'm already messing it up." he says shaking his head, lost in his own thoughts. i turn my head to look at him. he looks nervous, scared almost. 

"it's just, i don't really know what that meant. if it meant anything or if you were just singing. im still getting use to being around you again as friends and that kind of threw me off." i answered honestly. he played with his hands, his eyebrows furrowed. 

"im sorry, i-i dont really know either. i just got lost singing to you-with you. i didnt think i would ever get to do that ever again, you know? it was one of my favorite things we would do together. i guess i just got lost in the moment. i didnt mean to cause any problems." he says, his eyes pleading. "please don't shut me out again, ill keep my distance this time" my heart cracks hearing his shaky voice. i step closer to him. 

"you're not getting rid of me that easy now charles." a small smile forms on his face. the light of the moon and the city making him look angelic. 

"what if we begin again?" he says, taking another step closer to me. "start over, as friends? i promise to take things slow this time" i smile and hold my pinky out for him. he happily takes it as i repeat "friends" we smile at each other, his eyes are bright and twinkling like the stars. 

"um guys?" we quickly jump back from each other, owen standing at the door. he looks between charlie and i, a confused look on his face. "we're about to start with the karaoke." he says in a different tone. i cant help a feeling of guilt that washes over me. 

"okay cool" charlie says, looking back at me. "are you ready to go back inside?" he asks. "yeah, im just going to change out of these clothes first." i say walking towards owen. he has an unreadable expression on his face. 

"wanna do a face mask with me?" i ask owen, in hopes of getting a smile from him. im granted a small one in return. "i would love to" he says softly, opening up the door for us to come back inside. 

"are you okay?" jer asks me as i walk to get my duffel bag with my stuff. "i was feeling a little overwhelmed but im okay, thank you jer." i smile at him. "i dont believe you for one second liv. we're having a group therapy okay? you me and madison. the other two idiots can talk to each other." i laugh at his words. "okay jer, i promise." i head to the bathroom to change into my pajamas. i apply my face mask and head out to hang out with everyone else. 

i sit next to owen holding my face mask jar in his face "ready to be beautiful?" he laughs at me as i wiggle my eyebrows at him. "you cant get more beautiful than this" he says motioning to his face. 

"apply the whole jar liv, he needs it" madison jokes, making everyone laugh. i start to apply the mask on to owen's face. 

"am i pretty now?" owen asks me when im done. "just perfect" i joke back at him, laughing together. 

the rest of the night is filled with  stuffing our faces with pizza, singing disney channel songs and playing games. almost fighting each other when someone would draw a +4 while playing uno and laughing so hard our eyes filled with tears. im enjoying myself and the time im spending with my new friends. it's been a while since i've felt this happy, so at peace. 

i hope this lasts for a while. 

authors note: 

this story is almost at 4k reads and i couldnt be happier. thank you to everyone who's taken the time to read. keep voting and commenting, love you guys sm!! - cyn <3