chapter 16

f l a s h b a c k 

charlie's pov

the day was cloudy and bitterly cold, olive's favorite kind of weather. she has been buried in books and notes to prepare for her final exams. i decided to go to our local grocery store to get her some flowers, a simple reminder that she's extraordinary no matter what happens. 

i make my way in the store and head straight to the flower section. i got her favorite, pink tiger lilies. 

i made my way up to the register. waiting for my turn when i hear a familiar voice behind me. 

"charlie? mijo is that you?" i turn around to see olivia's mom, rebecca behind me with a cart full of groceries. 

"becca, good morning!" i say going to give her a hug. 

both of olive's parents have always been strict and very traditional. its very evident that they love olivia so much, they want what's in her best interest at all times. they have always been very kind towards me, they made me feel like apart of the family. 

"what are you doing up so early?"  she asks me laughing a little. i smile and hold up the flowers at her. 

"i wanted to go surprise olivia with some flowers, i know she's been studying so hard. i thought it would be a good reminder that everything will be fine" i confess, feeling my cheeks turn pink. 

"such a sweet gesture charlie, she'll love it" she smiles at me "if you're heading there now, you can ride with me back home. you can help me with the groceries." she offers and i laugh. 

"that would be great becca, thank you." i say, turning my head towards the cashier, ready to pay for the flowers. 

"that'll be $6.00" the cashier tells me after scanning the flower price tag. i hand her a 5 dollar bill and some quarters to complete the missing dollar. ms. garcia looks at me with an unreadable expression on her face as the cashier starts to scan her items. 

we load the groceries in her car and get going back to olivia's house. 

"charlie, what do you plan on doing after high school?" rebecca questions me, her tone now serious. 

"well i really want to pursue acting, i was thinking of taking some acting classes, maybe getting a mentor to help me get started" i tell her, excited to start talking about something i love.

"but what will you do in the meanwhile your career takes off? you know it can take years until you get a big role, sometimes people dont even make it"  she reminds me.

i feel myself deflate as she says that to me. "oh w-well maybe i can have a part time job in the meanwhile. i hear target is hiring people " i say now feeling sad that she think's i wont make it. 

"look mijo, i really like you. you're a sweet kid and you make olivia so happy." she says, parking the car in her driveway and looking at me. i stare back at her, scared at what will come next. 

"but i dont think its in anyone's best interest to continue the relationship" she admits and i cant help but gasp at her words. 

"w-what?" i furrow my eyebrows, feeling my heart pound louder by the second. 

"dont you see? olivia has applied to some of the bests schools to do something she loves. something stable. something she can get a job anywhere with. she should be focused and driven. and she is, just not when you're around. that girl loves you so much. i dont think she's willing to leave you even if she got accepted into, i dont know harvard." 

she takes off her seat belt and turns more towards me. 

"i want my daughter to be successful and i think you get in the way of that for her. do you understand what im trying to say?  im thinking about the long run here, i dont want my daughter to be paying with cents for something as simple as flowers." she says now in an angry tone. 

"but i love her, i will never try and stand in the way of her success" i try and defend my relationship. 

"but you already are, do you think she's going to continue studying when you walk in there with those flowers?"  i look at the flowers and back at her. im at a complete loss for words. 

"do us all a favor and just leave her. break up with her and give her a chance at being a successful independent woman. im sorry for this, but we both know it's for the best. it's for her."  

i feel my heart break at her words. i get out of the car and head home.

her words keep repeating in my head. over and over and over. 

sometimes people dont even make it 

you get in the way 

break up with her 

its for her.

i toss and turn all night. i cant help but feel guilty from what ms. garcia said to me. i dont want to distract her, i dont want to burden her. 

i dont want her to be worrying about me, if i have a job, did i get a part, what i will do in the meantime. 

i want her to be the best version of herself that she can be, even if that means without me by her side. 

breaking up with her is something i never imagined doing, but her mothers words continue to ring in my head. 

i turn around again, seeing the flowers i bought for her earlier on my desk. 

its for her

i start to cry, feeling my heart shatter. even if its for the better, im going to lose the one person i love most. my chest feeling as if there's 30 cement blocks on it. i feel like im going to be sick.

the sun rises again and i havent gotten any sleep. i take deep breaths hoping  that i can do it. hoping ill be strong enough. hoping she'll forgive me.