chapter 42

"olive look at the deers!" charlie yells, pointing at the family of deer roaming around his backyard. 

i laugh at his sudden excitement. it's the next morning, every body is out finishing their christmas shopping, leaving charlie and i home alone with what looks like a family of deer. 

"that one looks like it's name is rufus" he says pointing at the biggest deer of them all. i stand next to him, wrapping my arms around his torso. 

"what makes you think that?" 

"he just looks like a rufus" he says, shrugging his shoulders and laughing. he places a kiss on my head and wrapped his arms around me.

"what do you say we go have some coffee and go around town like we use to? we gotta find something to wear for christmas" charlie says, his smile bright. 

"only if we can get ice cream from marie's later" 

"deal" he says, giving me a quick kiss. "lets get going, i really want some coffee" he says taking my hand and leading me out the door.

we walk into town hand in hand, the nostalgic feeling ever so present. everything looks the same, down to the way the christmas lights twinkle. the town is busy with every one in the neighborhood running around with shopping bags and christmas cheer. charlie's arm instinctively goes around me as the cold winter breeze begins. 

"do you remember our first date?" he speaks up, his head turning towards me. his cheeks and nose flushed pink, a boyish smile on his lips. 

"i do, you asked me to come get coffee with you on a gloomy day." i smile at the memory, seems like forever ago. 

"i was so nervous to ask you out, i for sure thought you would say no." he laughs, holding the door open for me to enter the cafe. 

"why would you think i'd say no?" i ask curiously, making our way inside. the smell of coffee overtaking our senses and the sudden warmth feels heavenly in contrast to our cold bodies. 

"its dumb but in one conversation i had asked you who your celebrity crush was and you said-" 

"harry styles" i finish for him, making his smile widen. 

"okay yeah but you also said robert pattinson and michael b. jordan, and well i dont look like any of them!" he said, making me laugh wholeheartedly. 

"you make the cut pretty boy" 

we get to the front of the line, charlie orders what we usually do and we take a seat next to the window. people passing by left and right. 

"sooo i was thinking movie night tonight" he says happily, blowing his coffee a little before taking a sip.

"sure, what were you thinking?" i ask, mirroring his actions and taking a sip of my own coffee. 

"avengers endgame" 

"why do you want to hurt m-" 

a loud knock makes me snap my head towards the glass window, my fathers face causing me to stop talking. his smile grows as he looks at charlie and back at me, running back to enter the cafe. 

i look at charlie, his eyes are as wide as mine. my father runs towards us as i stand up from my seat, the feeling of uncertainty and anxiousness taking over me. 

"mija! it's so good to see you!" he says taking me into his arms and picking me up into a tight hug. this makes me smile as i hug him back, my father was never big on affection, making me cherish the few times he is. 

"hi dad" i say as i pull away from him, his eyes scan my face before tucking my hair behind my ear. 

"ive missed you mija, how are you?" 

"ive been good dad, really good. how are you?" 

"im alright, im just surprised. your mother said you werent coming home for christmas, im also just surprised to see you here with charlie. hey charles!" my dad makes his way over to charlie giving him a handshake. charlie smiles at him, standing up to take it.

"hey mr. garcia, it's nice to see you again." 

"are you two back together again?" my dad points between us both, charlie and i share a glance before i look back at him. 

"yeah dad, we're back together. mom didn't tell you?" 

his face fell a little, looking at at his shoes before taking a deep breath. 

"your mom and i haven't been speaking much" his eyebrows furrow in sorrow, before looking back up at me. a bad feeling starts to bubble in the pit of my stomach. 

"what's wrong dad?" 

he looks at charlie and back at me, he comes closer, taking my hands into his rough ones. a sad smile across his face. 

"we dont have to speak about that right now, how about we meet up here tomorrow you and i? we can catch up on everything" 

"dad, please. im an adult just tell me what's wrong." i squeeze his hands to assure him i can handle it. his eyes leave mine, finding the floor again. he takes a deep breath before knocking the wind out of me. 

"your mother and i are getting a divorce." 

a.n.

thank you all for over 100k!!! i love you all so much, you've become like my family. 

im so sorry i havent been constant with the updates, ya girl is going through a break up and its been very hard to do anything lately. but thank you for being patient and kind. 

please vote and comment, dont forget to eat and drink water. if you havent been told today, you matter, you're valid, and you are loved. - cyn <3