chapter 38

i wake up to the familiar scent of peppermint and the warmth of charlie's body cuddled up next to mine.

i try not to move, wanting to stay here in this spot forever. charlie's arms are wrapped around me as if he's afraid to let go. his hair is messily spread out and his lips are in a small pout.

the sight of him alone is enough to make anyone fall in love with him.

his eyes start to flutter open, a small smile forming on his lips as he sees me staring at him.

"gooood morning olive" he says in a low raspy voice.

"good morning charles" i laugh a little as he brings me closer to him, snuggling his face in my neck.

"can we stay here today?" he mumbles before leaving a small trail of kisses, sending shivers up my spine.

"nice try, but you have to record all day today"

he groans before sitting up, he rubs his eyes and looks back at me with a sleepy smile.

"guess i have to shower then, wanna join me?" his smirk grows as i shove his shoulder playfully

"what is it with you and showers?" i tease him, he shrugs in response.

"it just seems like fun" he laughs before getting up.

we both get ready pretty quickly, both of us in the best mood. there's a knock on my door as i wait for charlie to put on his shoes.

"hi ow" i say but my smile fades as i take in his appearance. "owen what's wrong?"

his eyes are bloodshot and his under eyes are dark.

"i i don't know, i kept feeling really anxious and i couldn't sleep. do you think you can give me a ride to work? i don't think im okay to drive." he shakily says. i nod without a second thought.

"of course owen, is there anything i can do for you? do you want water or something to eat?" i offer but he shyly shakes his head no.

"okay olive, let's- hey owen, are you okay?" charlie says walking up to him and rubbing his shoulder.

"yeah man i will be"

"he's riding with us" i say directed to charlie and he nods his head, putting an arm around owen and walking out with him as i lock my apartment door.

as we drive to work, charlie plays his country music. i tease him constantly to try and get a smile or a comment from owen but he's quiet most of the ride.

we get to the recording studio where madison, jeremy and kenny are waiting for us. their eyes widening at the sight of owen.

"how are you feeling olivia?" kenny asks as i walk up to him.

"much better thank you kenny." i smile at him and he nods back.

"okay we're recording stand tall today, madison let's start with you"

madison gets into the booth and starts recording. her voice almost bringing me to tears. she really sounds like an angel.

"what's going on with owen?" jer asks charlie and i. i look over and owen is standing in a far corner by himself.

"he said he was feeling really anxious today" i tell him and he nods his head.

"this is the worst i've seen him" charlie says sadly before continuing "maybe we should all hang out with him after, make him feel like he's got us to rely on"

"yeah, i think he'll like that" i smile at charlie before kenny calls him into the booth.

"so charlie and owen are okay now?" jer asks me as we watch charlie go into the booth and madison come towards us.

"i think so, he was really worried this morning for ow. i guess he just wants him to be okay"

"honestly olivia, i think i ship owen and charlie more than you and charlie" madison jokes, making us all laugh.

after three hours it was time for owen to go into the booth, nervousness evident all over his face.

"please go easy on him, he's been nervous all morning" charlie says quietly to kenny and the producer.

"you got this owen!" i encourage, giving him two thumbs up.

"you got this! you're the best drummer ever!" madison follows my lead.

"we love you owen!" jeremy screams loudly making us laugh. owen's face blushes pink before starting to sing.

"that was good owen! you're doing amazing!" charlie smiles after the take, my heart warms as i see owen smile a real smile.

"let's do two more takes and we're done! owen you're killing it!" kenny smiles and claps.

owen seems evidently more calm, he's stopped fidgeting and moving around so much. he sings his part one more time.

"whatever happens
even if i'm the last standing
ima stand tall
ima stand tall"

"THATS IT, YOU DID IT OWEN" kenny yells and we all cheer for him. owens face blushes furiously as he steps out of the booth and we all give him a group hug.

"thank you guys" he says shyly before we all start to head out.

"hey olivia?" owen says, touching my arm.

"yeah owen? what's up?" i say turning to him

"thank you for being there for me today." i smile at his words before going in for a hug.

"you've helped me through my worst days owen, i'm here for you as you are for me. always" i reassure him before pulling away. he gives me a small smile before we walk out of the studio.

charlie waits for us by the car. before he can do anything, he's pulled into a bone crushing hug by owen.

"thank you for helping me today" owen says to charlie. charlie rubs his back before pulling away.

"you're my brother owen, i'll always help. i'm sorry for the way i've acted before." owen nods and gets into the car.

"you may be my brother charlie but i'm not hearing any more country today" owen says before snatching the aux from him, making me laugh loudly.

"you guys just don't have taste" charlie sasses as we drive home.

a.n

i think i've finally felt what writers block is lmao but i saw the video of them recording stand tall and managed to write this!

i cried at how supportive they all are with each other 🥺

hope you like it! love you guys ♥️ - cyn