0.8

5 January 2007

"So Victoria, what do you have planned next?" Victoria's Gran asked as they sat around the dinner table that night after a long day of engagements.

"I was actually thinking of joining the Royal Army Medical Corps," Victoria announced looking down at her plate. With her medical background, Victoria wanted to do more than just be a doctor and a working royal, she wanted to help serve her country, she just didn't know how her family is going to react.

"RAMC?" Victoria's Gram, Prince Philip asked looking at Victoria.

"Yes, I want to serve my country, like you once did Granny," Victoria said. "I've researched what they do and I feel that my education and my knowledge will be useful in the battlefield. It will give me that challenge I have always wanted and I won't get that in a normal hospital."

"Are you sure about this darling?" Charles asked Victoria, his little girl, whom he loves so much. He doesn't know what he would do if she would get injured out there, or worse, killed.

"Yes," Victoria nodded her head. She knew her father would be the hardest to persuade. "There are exceptional doctors here Papa, but out there, there's barely any doctors trained for the work they're doing. They need help Papa, you know I can do this."

"I know you can, Victoria. It's not the matter of skill but rather your safety." Charles said.

"He does have a point, Victoria," Her grandmother, Elizabeth told her granddaughter. "But if this is what you're sure of doing, I support you. Besides, you still have your royal duties to fulfil as well."

"I know that no matter what I say, you would still go out there to the war zone. I just want you to come back safe, okay?" Charles said before standing up and hugging his daughter. "We will be here waiting with some hot chocolate."

Later that evening as Charles, Camilla, Elizabeth and Philip were lounging by the sofa, the Wales siblings were still in the dining room enjoying a cup of tea away from the grown ups.

"You just had to join the military don't you Victoria?" Harry spat out as he sipped his drink, feeling the buzz sink in. "You can't stand it that me and Wills joined the military, so you had to join as well to not feel left out."

"What on earth are you talking about Harry?" Victoria looked at her brother questioningly.

"Why don't do drink some water Harry," William tried to calm his brother down, knowing he is going to throw one of his tantrums at their sister, who does not deserve it.

"Stay out of this Will," Harry pushed William away before facing his sister again. "Little Tori, have to be in the centre of attention. Poor Tori, her two brothers are serving the armed forces, she just have to sign up herself too! God forbid her brother get some of the attention from their family. No, Tori Tori Tori, it's always all about Victoria."

"I honestly don't know what you're on about Harry, but if you feel this way, then I'm sorry. I'm doing this so that I can help people and serve my country the way that I want to. I'm not doing this for attention, I'm trying to get away from attention! But, if you feel so entitled to have all the attention, by all means, please! In the meantime, why don't you look in the mirror and see how you yourself behave. If anything, people might think that you're jealous!"

Victoria turned around and head over to where the adults are sitting.

"I'm sorry Granny, if you could excuse me, I would like to take my leave now." Victoria said kissing both her grandparents, father and step-mother goodnight. "I will see you all tomorrow for our engagement."

What a way to end the night.