3. Old Habits √

Sara's POV

“What happened?” I inquired looking at the crowd that continues to grow dense outside the office of our head nurse, Rosalie. Every one of us could hear the indistinguishable argument between Rosalie and Amber, a co-worker.

“Same drama. The top floor patient attacked Amber.” Denise shrugged off. Her reaction was strange. Once, she nursed that patient. Everyone complained about that patient, even one of our co-worker, Tamara quit the job but Denise never complained.

That patient pays the extra fee for the treatment. And the nurse who will care for that patient would exclusively work for that patient.

“You never complained about that patient. Why?” I questioned.

“It has nothing has to do with you.” She giggled like a teenager. “The payment is filthy high.”

“Then why you left?”

“I earned enough to bring my own house and car, even I was able to save the money..... That patient was very demanding.” She sighed.

I was stunned. She brought her own house as well as the car. It was almost impossible. She joined us 6 months back. And now, she's financially stable.

I need to do this job. Mom found it a bad idea but I want a child. A family of my own. I will go for adoption. And I have to be stable for my child. I am desperate.

“I want to take the job,” I said.

My words worked as an explosive that led Denise to stop her work. Throwing her files on the desk, she held my arms and dragged me to the restroom. She looked practically worried while locking the door.

“This is not a good idea.” She whispered warning me for a hidden purpose.

“Is everything OK?” I asked. Her reaction is sceptical. There is nothing to worry about. This is just a patient.

“Listen, I signed a non-disclosure agreement while leaving that patient's service. Even I signed a fucking non-disclosure agreement before joining. All I could do is to advise you -- don't go that patient no. 648.”

“What happened?”

“I can't tell you.” She pleaded.

“If you can't tell me then how will I decide if it is dangerous for me.” I raised my eyebrow. The poor girl in front of me is not aware of my past. I wouldn't call myself dangerous and being a woman helped me a lot. Men are usually vulnerable when they see a beautiful woman.

“It's a stupid agreement. They would find out if I speak.” She was irritated.

“Nothing will harm me...nothing could worse happen,” I assured her. “Trust me.”

Hesitating, she nodded but I could read her eyes. They held doubts as well as concern. She doubted my capabilities. She's even concern about me. What Is there so special about patient no.648?

It was almost morning when I knocked on the door of our head nurse. But getting no answers from inside got me concerned as she's always in her room especially in the night.

Opening her room without permission, I entered into her private space. Now, I became officially an intruder. I have the habit of interfering in other matters. Blame it to my old habits.

Old habits never die.

Strangely, She wasn't in her room. It is the first time I see her room. Maybe I could investigate to assure myself of non-existence trouble. But deep inside my instincts screams about that confidential problem.

What is happening to me?

My intuition is mostly right. I was already sceptical when I met my husband, his family, my pregnancy and now this. Something is wrong and it is going to drag me in it.

I was about to leave the room when a thought invaded my mind. I don't know why but I had an urge to open the drawer next to the bed.

Without fighting my urge, I opened the drawer only to find a pile of condoms in it. Different flavours. Even birth control.

What is all this?

Rosalie is old for this. I mean that lady is in her forties claims that she had already lost the ability to produce a child. Then why would she need this birth control?

Maybe, she's still sexually active. This explains the presence of condoms, but birth controls?

Her personal life wasn't my concern, so I didn't investigate. But I know, birth control was for someone else.

“What are you doing here?” Rosalie asked.

She was calm even though she caught me in her room checking her personal belongings. This is bothering me.

“I..... I want.... wanted to.... to talk to you.... you.” I stammered. It was all an act so that I would look like an innocent girl. It was a cover-up as I appear too innocent to be involved in the mafia.

“It could have wait.” She sighed and opened the door for me telling me to get out of her room.

“I wanted to talk about patient no 648.” I rushed out.

“What?” She widened her eyes.

“Patient no 648... I heard what Amber was.....”

“I heard you.” She snapped. “If I am not wrong then you need money. Your salary is fine.”

“Yes, but I need more money. Since that patient is ready to provide special allowances, I could work there.”

“No need. I can take care of it.” She dismissed me.

Before walking out of her room, I noticed bites on her neck. It is hickey. She had sex before meeting me. It was so disgusting for me to have sex while working, especially Rosalie.

Controlling my nausea, I walked to the director's chamber. The reason for Rosalie's denial is unknown to me. Maybe, she wants that money but I need to stable for my child.

“How can I help you...... Ms Bellman?” Director Dr Scott asked as soon as he sees me. I think, he was leaving for his sleep but I interfered.

“I can come later.” I smiled politely.

“Then we won't be able to speak.”

“I... I wanted to talk about patient no 648.”

“648?” I nodded as my answer to his question. “You want to work there?” Again I nodded. “Fine, I'll call you today by noon.”

“Is there anything I should know?” I asked. People seem distressed about this patient. I think I should inquire about this patient on my own.

“No.” He laughed tried to lighten the aura around us but failed. I could still feel the surrounding tension. “I'll call you.”

Without waiting for me to leave he rushed inside his cabin and I saw him looking for something around his table, desperately. This meant only one thing. That patient was something else.

What is so special about that patient?

Edited 14th April 2021