13. Mafia

Sara's POV

“She's no more.” This were the last words that I heard before losing my sense for the outer world.

After that, many emotions were at edge. I am hopeless and desperate. Is it my sin from past lives that I am paying in this life?

I cried for my loss. I screamed when I kicked the tire to earn pain. Wailing like a child, I held my leg and jumped with agony.

The news was hard to absorb. I couldn't imagine my life with her. My mom. Clarice Davies. She gave me the love that I never expected from her. She was unapproachable at first but later, she loved me more than her son. And, now she's no more.

She was already dead before doctors approached her. According to them, she has been dead for at least a day, which is another inhumane thing. She was already dead for a day and no one noticed. Her body was left to decay. Hospital authority is looking for a nurse who was stationed for that day but that nurse is gone, like she never existed.

I cried and cried. I have no one now. I am alone just like I was before.

“Your mother was a good lady.” Dr Scott said. Surprisingly, he has been by side since the time news was broke to me.

“She is a good lady.”

“I am sorry about.....” He didn't finish his statement and shook his head as if he is fighting with his thoughts. “You don't have to work for Mr Rossi.”

“You are willing to take me back?” I asked with hope. Working for Valerio Rossi is hard. From the past 2 weeks, He brings a new woman every night, and next morning, he kicked them out. I feel bad for them, hearing their sobs, curse and even some are heartbroken.

“I can not do that.” He hung his head trying to hide his emotion. We know that until my psychiatrist consider me healthy, I can't join anywhere as a nurse.

I desperately wanted to speak what happened to me that night but I signed a non-disclosure agreement without thinking the reason behind. Luckily, I changed the last clause of leaving, without anyone to replace me. I was free from him, yet I was bind to him again due to this new agreement.

“You knew what he would do?” I asked trying to control my anger. It was everyone's participation that I am involved in this shitty game now.

“Rosalie never told me what he does. Until he called that morning.” He defended himself. It is impossible that he wasn't aware that his staff was exploited by one of his rich patients.

“He called you? For me?” I asked and Dr Scott nodded. “Do you have any idea how many were exploited by him?”

“Rosalie said he does aggressive sex, but he doesn't rape. And he doesn't remember hurting you...... You broke his nose.”

“Money speaks.” I scoffed, realizing that such an amazing devoted doctor is now loyal to money. His efforts, aspirations to save lives were nothing but an amateur memory of his youth. Now, all he needs money.

“It's not money... It's fear.” He snapped but it wasn't his aggression that was the centre of attraction. It was his FEAR. “I don't know why but his aura is fearful. Dangerous. Whenever he is around it feel like he is a walking chaos. Sometimes I feel he is....” He looked around before speaking. “Mafia.” He finally whispered. “It may sound childish but this is the reason I usually avoid him and try to maintain distance as much as possible.” He explained.

No doubt, the aura of mafia boss was powerful. It all appears to be genetic.l because Mark Rogers and his family keeps their distance from Mafia yet their aura speaks dominance. Same for Victor Garcia. Both men were mafia heirs who chose normal life.

Even though Rossi is trying to leave mafia, but they are still active in mafia crimes. The illegal arms and weapons supplies are yet to be stopped by them.

“Mafia is a myth.” I laughed trying to convince Dr Scott but the fear was visible.

“Maybe but I suggest you keep the distance..... Rosalie was jealous.” He finally laughed.

I knew it.

Rosalie is jealous because she has feelings for Valerio.

We discussed my condition as Dr Scott consider himself accountable for my condition. I shared my reason for immediate need of money, and he seemed more than happy to help me. He was ready to talk to my psychiatrist and also offered me a part-time job after adoption. Because for a few years, I won't be taking the full-time job and will focus on my baby.

I was driving back to Rossi estate thinking about the funeral and my empty life, when I noticed a black SUV that took a sudden turn into the forest.

It was intuition that I listened to, after many days. And, followed them to find a stop in the middle of nowhere.

Keeping my distance, I parked my car and walked to those 2 casually dressed men who were discussing something interesting that they didn't feel my arrival, to which I was thankful for. They were trying to look for entrance in the Rossi estate.

Who are they?

I hid behind the car when one of them turn around.

We need them alive for interrogation.

I turned to go back to my car when a third man blocked my path and gave me his disgusting smile.

“We have a Bambi here.” He announced to his friends who stopped their discussion and gave us relived looked, because I was caught.

“I just lost my way.” I tried to convince him, but he held my forearm tight and dragged me to his car.

I knew his intention. These bloody men think women as object and were always ready to violate them.

Using my free hand to scratch him, I earned his painful screams which was satisfying then I kicked his precious jewel. My hit was so severe that he laid down holding his jewel.

Next Time, he won't even think about it.

Then...

Thud.....

Thud......

Turning back, I saw both men laying on the ground with a bullet on their head. They were shot. They are dead.

“Why you have to smart one?” Valerio walked towards me with a gun in his hand and his minions were behind him. “You are supposed to be my caretaker... Stop. Interfering.” He warned me gabbing my jaw.

“Don't touch me.” I pushed him. “You lost your chance to get information.” I pointed at the dead bodies.

“Last one is alive.” He pointed at the third person and his minions took him away. “Meet me at my office.” He ordered me.

How dare he?

I work for his father, not for him. I will not meet him anywhere especially alone. I preferred to ignore him, but he already knew my response, so clutching my arms he glared at me.

“I will fuck this shitty attitude for yours.” He said and dragged me to his car.