8. Knight

Sara's POV

“I don't know.” Nancy Smith cried out. “Trust me.”

“What makes you think that I would trust you?” Valerio roared.

“Because I am carrying your child.”

“Yeah...... The one, who is your key to bind me to you.”

“She's pregnant.” I interrupted the interrogation and passed her water bottle. “You shouldn't have helped him.” I caressed her head.

“August promised me, Eli..... She's my baby.” Wiping her tears, she looked at Valerio with hope. “It is their issue. Family issue. We can leave. We can't save Savannah. August already took her. He already has Beth.”

Hearing her, Valerio lost his patience and snatched the bottle from her. He is losing his mind. The absence of Elizabeth Rogers is hard for everyone. That lady is pregnant as well and have 5 kids waiting for her especially Valerio. He left his treatment, just to make sure his Beth is safe.

I knew, August was planning something but I never thought he would stomp so low that he would kidnap his sister-in-law.

August is a Schmidt, as well as Mark. They are cousins. No one noticed but I did. To me, they appeared brothers born from different mothers. They don't look alike but their behaviour is the same. And, I even observed that the first son of every generation has the same gene. I mean Marcus Schmidt was the eldest among his siblings, looked like his father. Same for Mark who looks like his father, Marcus. Even Abioye looks like Mark. Even though he is not Mark's son, but he is the eldest son of his generation.

“Smith..... You did a grave mistake. You were just Eli's caretaker. And Beth is her mother..... Eli is not your baby.” Valerio shrieked.

“She's pregnant.” I reminded him.

Rubbing his straight shaped nose and murmured something inaudible. He is tired and will not rest until his Beth is at home.

He asked me to get out of the cell but leaving a pregnant lady with an impatient mafia prince is out of the question. I am a nurse first, I can avenge my husband's death later. At least, not at the cost of innocent baby because I know how it feels to lose your baby.

I ignored him and helped Nancy to sit in a comfortable position.

Suddenly, I was dragged out of the room. Pushing me out of the room, he locked himself and Nancy inside the room.

After a few minutes, I heard Nancy whimpering which was mixed with her moans.

This man has a high sexual appetite.

Is he raping her?

I banged the door but their voice didn't stop. It kept growing. I tried my best to open the door but it was an electric door. All my hard work was in vain.

In the morning, when Valerio came out of the cell I see Nancy laying naked on the floor. I hurried to her to cover her while she kept crying.

“He was supposed to be our Knight.” She covered her stomach trying to protect her baby.

“Are you even listening to me?” Dr Harrington called me.

“No, I don't want to listen,” I said.

“You can speak to me about... anything. It's safe.”

Talking to her is a waste. When I made clear that I don't want to talk about my assault, yet she's persistent about it.

“I am surprised....” Dr Harrington sounded amused. “Your injuries were severe. You deserved justice. Anyone else with this type of assault would be in trauma but you amazed me.”

“I am not anyone else.” I scoffed. “Can I leave now?” I am too eager to meet mom. She's not awake yet.

“I would love to throw you out of my cabin but unfortunately, we have no one to push your wheelchair. So you are stuck with me for a while.”

“I will help myself..... I appreciate your concern.”

“Are You sure..... You don't want to talk about it?”

“Positive..... Chief.” I laughed.

“You are different.”

“Everyone is different.”

“I am here to help you.....”

“I am fine.” I snapped. “Why... Everybody keeps chanting the same words?”

“So you are angry with everybody?” She asked with a poker face. Psychiatrist.

“No.....” I blurted. “I don't know what is going. I just feel empty.”

“Tell me about it.” Collecting her writing pad and pen, she looked armed to fight for me. She's not just a psychiatrist to me but a good friend of mine. Soon, she will refer me to someone else. We both know, she's a friend and will eventually face an issue, when I will not be sharing with her. We work together.

I told her about my dreams, even described her but didn't tell her that I dream about Valerio holding Max or the delivery of Beth or even my husband's death. It is like a cycle that keeps going on and on.

We were interrupted by the knock of her assistant, who came to remind the appointment. But I wasn't surprised that next is Valerio Rossi.

Dr Anastasia Harrington is a known psychiatrist. Most of us come to her. Even Mark Rogers once decided to get help for his anger management. But I doubt if he told her everything. I could call her our mild secret keeper. She knows about only those who tell her whereas Mark Rogers knows about all those who live around him. He became more alert, after what August did. August kidnapped Beth, his Elizabeth.

“I can come later.” valerio said as soon as he entered. His confidence tells that he doesn't regret what he did.

“I can leave,” I said and turned my wheelchair to leave.

I avoided looking at him. Beth claims that Valerio doesn't remember anything but I do remember everything. Even I live those pain sometimes.

“I will help her.” I heard Valerio running towards me. “How do you feel?” He asked.

I ignored him.

“You broke my nose.” He chuckled.

For the first time, after that night I looked at him. His nose is wrapped with bandages and even I could see the scratches on his neck and jaw.

I did a good job.

“I can feel your touch.” He said pushing my wheelchair.

His deep accent gave me goosebumps. Those words were delivered by Valerio Rossi but I heard my husband's voice.

I can feel your touch.

We almost walked inside the lift when the high-pitched alarm caused the rush. It was disarray everywhere. People were panicked, rushing towards life, stairs, door.

“Take her out. Someone killed Dr Harrington.” Amber said.

“Take her out,” Valerio ordered Amber.

With trembling steps, she walked towards us. He attacked her that day. Her fear is evident.

“Don't try to be a KNIGHT.” I mocked him.

“Trust me, I am the KNIGHT.” He taunted before leaving towards Dr Harrington's cabin. I see him taking his guns out of his blazer.

“With a broken nose, he couldn't do anything,” Amber said.

“You have no idea,” I said knowing that there will be a lot of bloods. After all, he's a mafia prince.