back to me - caleb murphy

"caleb, you okay?" my mom asks as she looks at me from the rear view mirror making me snap out of my thoughts.

"yeah ma, im fine" i say to her smiling after.
"doesn't look like it" she mumbles as i lay back, "you miss her?" she says as i look at her, trying not to tear up. i nod my head as a response.

"i miss her too but things happen on the most unexpected time" she says as i sigh, nodding.

"we were doing okay, i mean we were doing great. i just didnt know what happened like why'd she end it" i say to her sniffing and my breathing starts to shake.

"you should go talk to her" she says, "tsk for what? im pretty sure she wouldnt want to see me" i say to her as i scroll through instagram.

"why wouldnt she? y'all ended on good terms. communication is important, maybe she still have feelings for you, you never know" she says as i turn off my phone, after seeing y/n's recent post.

"i'll think about it" i mumble to her as i reminisce. i cant let this get to me now, i have a game in a few hours.

y/n
"are you sure about this y/n?" my bestfriend, nia, asks as she crosses her arms. i put on my a1's as i look up at her,

"yeah i mean, we told each other we'll stay friends after the break up? im pretty sure its not going to be that awkward" i say to her, and she sighs, "okay then, let's go cause im not trying to seat on the very top seat" she says making me kiss my teeth.

we drove to caleb's game, thinking about the awkwardness that's about to happen. i hope he's not with his mom, cause that would be as awkward too. i dont even know why i thought about going to his game, this is the first time im gonna see him after a year we broke up. i know i said we'd stay as friends, but we havent met up ever since. i guess let's just hope for the best.

basketball game
the court was pretty packed, considering caleb's against sharife and brandon. i didnt see caleb as soon as i enter, which is okay. im glad he's late.

"oh y/n" i hear brandon's voice making me turn, "hey" i say standing as we share hugs.

"you looking for caleb?" he asks turning around, "oh no no, im just here to watch" i say holding his shoulder turning him back to me.

"oh sh.. y'all...?" he says as he tilts his head making me nod. every hooper caleb's following knew about our relationship, hell they thought we were gonna get married.

"my bad but you rooting for us now?" he says making me look at him with furrowed brows, "y'all are good but no" i say between chuckles as he kisses his teeth with a smirk on his face.

"aight aight, i'll catch up with you soon" he says as we share hugs again, "okay goodluck" i say to him as he winks running to his bench. as soon as he went out of sight, i saw caleb. shit. i think he saw me, i hope not.

"he's here" i say to nia, as she kisses her teeth, "bitch of course he is- oh shit" she says as he looks at me. i look up and he's still looking my way, (he definitely saw you) he looks so good. i gave him a small smile, and he did as well. he was now walking to me, and i looked at his mom who was waving at me, making me wave back.

"hey" he says as i stand up and we share hugs. i guess he didnt expect it, cause he froze for a while. he's still wearing the same perfume i gave him for his birthday. i know that because his perfumes smell the same, so i bought him a different one.

"how are you?" i say to him, and he looks at me deeply in my eyes, "im okay" he says as he nods, making me nod as well. he's not, i can tell from his eyes.