d. ragnvindr ❧ heart strings

"the world watched as you fell apart"

diluc ragnvindr x readerangst ❧ your heart was set on him but his wasn't set on yours

angst your heart was set on him but his wasn't set on yours

Agony befell the world around you when you saw him speaking to her in such a gentle manner. His smooth, baritone voice wasn't wavering, it was soothing like velvet; clear as a bell.

Her giggle, light as a dandelion, rang in your ears. it was soft, feminine, her laughter was the embodiment of the sun. It was warming, gentle and loving. you were charmed by her.

No wonder why he fell for her.

You weren't by any means angry at her. She treated you like family, helped you during your worst hours, walked beside you as not just a comrade but a friend.

She truly deserves everything in Teyvat and you wanted her to be happy. Still, you couldn't help but feel a tinge of jealousy when Diluc looked at her.

"How was your day, Acting Grand Master?"

His voice never wavered, it was smooth and endearing when speaking to her. His crimson eyes met her beautiful stormy grey hues. Her laughter was clear like crystal. "I'm okay, Master Diluc... and for the last time, please just call me Jean."

The way he chuckled at her made your heart ache. "If you so desire," the words floated from his lips, it made you so envious. You would give anything to be in her spot.

"(y/n)?"

You stiffened upon hearing your name called. Your eyes met Jean's, there was a softness that was so mellow, so gentle, it made you feel comforted.

"Could you help Master Diluc with the errands at Dawn Winery?" You, of course, nodded. Somehow the mention of his name made the office of the Acting Grand Master seem smaller, tighter.

Diluc flashed you a gentle smile, turning around to meet your eyes. His crimson tufts of hair that perfectly framed his sharp features seemed enhanced with the ethereal light that peaked from the window.

"It would be an honor," you bowed respectfully towards Diluc who thanked you for accompanying him. You followed him out of the headquarters and to the waypoint not too far from the city. Since the two of you were blessed by the Archons, it made life much easier to be able to teleport to the one closest to Dawn Winery.

It was awkward but you tried your best to maintain a conversation with him. He always treated you wonderfully, just as he had in the past when you had lived in the mansion with him and Kaeya, as your mother worked as a maid at the mansion.

Diluc has grown significantly taller, more handsome of course and your child-like emotions from before also grew. He made your heart flutter like no other and even now, it was still that same feeling of butterflies floating in your stomach.

"(y/n)?" You snapped out of your thoughts to meet his concerned eyes. You laughed awkwardly, apologizing for your sudden silence.

"Are you sure? You seem to be more... dazed these days?" You laughed awkwardly, rubbing the back of your neck out of habit. "Just a tad bit tired." Diluc looked unconvinced, he turned to you and gently took your right hand into his. Heat flushed on your face as he gently pressed a kiss against the back of your hand— like he did back when you were kids.

"You can always inform me of your troubles." He pulled back, giving you the softest of smiles. His smile caused the corner of your mouth to twitch.

"I appreciate it, Master Diluc." You muttered quietly, looking downwards out of slight embarrassment.

"Please, just call me Diluc." He insisted, gently setting your hand down. "You've known me long enough now."

You pulled your hands in, bringing them close to your chest. A slow inhale and exhale before looking up and nodding up at him with a forced smile. "If that's what you desire, Diluc." He raised an eyebrow at you before you shook your head and took his hand into yours, dragging him towards the winery with a childish giggle.

Diluc had his eyes set on the one person in your life you would never dare hurt. She treated you like family when you had none, and welcomed you with open arms.

Why would you want to tear them apart if they are so happy?

The world seemingly watched you fall apart under the guise of a sunny (forced) smile, dragging your beloved towards the childhood home you once shared. It was to preserve the happiness of your two closest friends and to protect their smiles.

You would give it all to ensure their happiness.