k. alberich ❧ identity

"to choose between his comrades and
his country"

kaeya alberich x reader (bittersweet) fluff ❧ the time has come for kaeya to make a choice, his homeland or his friends

(bittersweet) fluff the time has come for kaeya to make a choice, his homeland or his friends

.

His hand waved towards the leaving knights, signaling them a 'good night' as they walked past him. The clicking of his boot against the stone pavement was all he could hear. Mondstadt has gone quiet as night fell upon them, the bustling streets have died down to silence.

Kaeya walked towards the headquarters but stopped by the fountain, staring at it with great interest for a mere moment before he heard the sound of footsteps behind him.

He turned to meet your startled eyes, his tense body eased upon seeing your face.

"Captain...?"

Kaeya straightened his posture as he walked over to gently touch your shoulder, his finger felt electrified as he gently patted your shoulder. "Retire for the night." He simply said before retracting his hand from you, The tingling sensation rested on his fingers for a moment.

You nodded, bowing to him respectfully before turning on your heels to walk away. His eye dwelled on you for a moment before he turned as well, about to leave before he heard his title called once more. He glanced over his shoulder to see you beaming at him, telling him to have a 'wonderful night' before running off.

His heart raced in his chest, pounding against his ribcage at your words. Heat rushed to his ears and face as your figure slowly disappeared from his vision.

His fist balled tightly as he bit down harshly on his bottom lip, drawing blood as red dribbled down his chin.

Kaeya Alberich was beloved by Mondstadt, beloved by the people and his comrades alike. He was seen as witty, intelligent, entertaining, amusing, and cunning. Kaeya Alberich was trusted by his friends and coworkers.

None knew the true tale of Kaeya Alberich. No one would ever know of his purpose here in Mondstadt and no one would fathom the hint of betrayal from him.

His homeland, Khaenri'ah, was a desolate land abandoned by the Gods. He had nothing and was simply brought up with one purpose, to restore the glory of his homeland.

Everywhere he looked, people smiled at him. People loved him. People trusted him. All Kaeya could do was lie, smile, and nod.

Footsteps reached his ears once more as he looked up to see a certain blonde-haired male approaching. "Have you completed your duties?" His voice was commanding, stern and harbored no sense of humor or nonsense.

"Dainsleif! It's been ages." Kaeya chuckled, turning around completely. He leaned back upon the rim of the fountain for support as he met Dainsleif's eye.

"I am not here to play games." The blonde furrowed his brows at Kaeya, crossing his arms. Kaeya smirked, mirroring his friend and crossing his arms as well. "Then I suppose I don't have much to say."

Dainsleif raised an eyebrow at him. "You have not completed your mission yet?"

Kaeya chuckled in response. "What would you do if I told you that I have forgotten the mission?"

"I will report back and say that you have failed us and a target will be placed on your back for your betrayal."

Kaeya whistled, trying to keep up his facade. "Cruel much?"

Dainsleif glared at him, "Would you dare betray your homeland?"

Kaeya went silent for a moment, taking in the tense atmosphere before looking up at the sky of Teyvat.

"I don't know." He responded quietly, so quietly that even the winds could muffle his voice.

Kaeya was being truthful. He wasn't sure about his decision. Would he feel remorseful for using his comrades like this? Would such guilt eat him alive?

"The world is not a place for the unready. Make your choice now, Kaeya." Dainsleif warned before turning around and in a blink of an eye, he vanished.

Kaeya eased back, taking a sharp inhale as sudden nausea hit him hard. He turned around, looking into the water of the fountain— staring hard at his own reflection.

The man who looked back was Kaeya Alberich. A man unsure of his loyalty. A man who was divided and torn apart. A man lying and scheming to his own friends and comrades. When it was all over— where would he go...?

In the very end, who was he anyway?