Chapter 5

Landon's POV

I was walking down the halls of school the next day, minding my own business, but I noticed some people from the party staring at me and whispering.

"What did you do Landon?" Tom asked from next to me.

"I didn't do anything! I don't know what they're all whispering about!" I said glaring at a group of girls who immediately looked away.

"You did seem a little jumpy at the party. Is everything alright?" He asked.

"I don't know." I said. "I need to talk to Callie." I took out my phone and texted her to meet me at the front door.

"Okay, well if you ever need anything. I'm here for you man." He said before walking away. I nodded and glared at the lockers. A wave of anger suddenly flooded me and I let out a heavy breath through my nose. I turned and saw this slutty girl Amanda. I walked over to her when I saw her and her friends looking over to me. The halls were pretty crowded, so I pushed through everyone and pulled her against me.

"Hey Landon." She said biting her lip and putting her hand on my chest. I leaned down and kissed her. She smiled and quickly responded, pressing her body against mine. Nothing. Not a fucking tingle or anything. I pulled away from her and quickly walked away. I ignored them calling my name and didn't stop until I got to the front door. Callie was already waiting there and looked when I walked over.

  "What's up?" She asked pushing off the wall.

  "Wanna take a walk and have a smoke?" I asked.

  "Is that even a question?" She asked starting for the door. I grabbed her shoulder.

  "You brought a hoodie, right?" I asked. She nodded. "Security cameras. We can't let them figure us out." She nodded again.

  "Meet by the side doors in five." She said before quietly running down the hall. I ran to my locker and quickly unlocked it before pulling out my black hoodie. I pulled the back if cigarettes and lighter out and put them in the back pocket of my jeans before running back down the hallway. I stopped a hallway away from the side door and put my hood up. Callie came over a minute later in a great hoodie and put her hood up as well.

  "You ready?" I asked. She nodded. "Once we get outside, run until we get to the road." She nodded again so I took a deep breath and started for the door. I pushed it open and an alarm started going off.

  "Shit." I whispered under my breath and broke into a run. I knew Callie was right behind me so I just kept going until we hit the road. I was breathing heavily as we looked around.

  "I think we're good. I don't see anyone." She said. I nodded and started walking down the road.

  "So, what do you want to talk about?" She asked after a few minutes.

  "Can we just walk in silence a little longer?" I asked when my heart started beating a little faster.

  "Sure thing." She said kicking a rock. We soon made it on main street and that's when I sucked it up and took out my pack of cigarettes. I took out two and handed one to Callie. I lit it for her and then lit mine before putting it all back in my pocket. I looked over to Callie before looking towards the road and blowing out a breath of smoke. Here goes nothing.

  "Callie?"

  "Yeah?"

  "I can trust you with anything, right? You won't judge me or... leave me?" I asked nervously. She turned to me, looking a little confused.

  "I'm always here for you Landon. No matter what. I'm your sister." She said. I took a deep breath.

  "Something's wrong with me."