Gilda

The top floor held the bedrooms and common room. 

Miss İsabella's bedroom was at the end, her door was larger and darker than the others. She would say they could come in any time if they were scared at night, (this was directed at the little children, but Gilda had also nodded solemely) but Miss İsabella always hung a 'Do Not Disturb sign outside her door, and most of the children thought it would be wise to do just that. 

 Emma, Norman and Ray sneaked past her door with great difficulty, as Norman had hiccups just as they were about to pass.

 Emma found this very amusing, and Ray would sometimes turn away in the middle of telling them both to be quiet, and his friends would wait for him to finish sniggering.

 They  saw the staircase going down through the middle of the common room and Emma was just going to suggest they had a quiet race over there when a door to their right opened and Gilda stepped out. 

"Oh !" she looked very surprised.

 "Hi Gilda, good morning!" beamed Emma. Ray slowly slid into the shadows, trying to take his chance to escape, but Norman pulled him back. 

 "What are you doing up so early?" asked Norman,  even though they weren't really in the position to ask that.

 "Well ..." Gilda started, looking at them nervously. 

 "You see, Don was, well, snoring very loudly... " She went red. "Please don't tell him I told you he snores. He doesn't think he does and... Well, anyway,  he woke me up so... uh... I  just can't sleep" 

 Emma smiled. "You can come with us, Gilda! And don't worry, Don's secret is safe with us. Right Ray and Norman? " 

"Yes, of course!" Said Norman, struggling a little as Ray once again tried to escape. 

"Ray?"

"Ha! Don't count on- " 

"Ray would never tell anybody either!" interrupted Norman and Emma.   Ray opened his mouth to protest but Emma cut him of again. 

"SO LET'S GO!" she said loudly, and started of towards the common room. Gilda,  giving Norman and Ray one last uncertain and worried glance, hurried after her. 

They walked into the comman room and saw a the teacher they had seen earlier sitting near the far corner.  Emma gasped, Ray made a noise that sounded like a frustrated growl and Norman took a step back. Gilda whimpered. 

The teacher quickly pulled her hood down lower and stood up.

 "What are you doing here this early!"

 Norman, Emma,Ray and Gilda looked at each other hoping somebody could come up with an excuse, then, realizing there was no excuse they all looked up at  the teacher. Who simply stood there. A few moments passed, before Norman cleared his throat. 

"We are very sorry, we will go right-" He suddenley hiccuped. Ray closed his eyes and put his thumb and his forefinger on either side of his nose. And gave the most annoyed sigh of the year. 

Emma giggled. 

Norman went the colour of a red apple, then  continued, speaking quicker than usual. 

"We will go right back to bed, er, sir...?"

 The teacher looked down at them. 

Silence fell, making the children feel very uncomftable. The few rays of sunlight were the only things that lit up the dark, quiet room. İt seemed suddenley gloomy, with the teacher's shadow falling over the kids. Outside, a goldfinch chirped, and that was the only sound other than the teachers heavy breathing... 

Norman hiccuped. 

"Norman! " Whisperd Emma, covering her mouth. 

"Sorry " whispered Norman. 

The teacher still stared at them. 

For a moment Norman could have sworn she had a very strange face ... Meanwhile Gilda was trembling. Even a room full of snoring was better than  this... Why hadn't she just stayed in he room?!

A few moments passed and Gilda started to get embarressed of how fast and loud her heart was beating ...