Chapter 15: Post-Meeting

Cassien was sitting in a room full of public official from Valentino. They were having their yearly end of the year meeting about what needs to be changed, things that have been consistent, and about the overall health of the nation.

Cassien was flipping through the pages and they were almost a quarter of the way done. They just had to listen to the Central's report about how the year went. From what Cassien remembered nothing significant had happened. He looked at the time on his watch. It was past lunchtime and he assumed Lyrica would've gotten home by now.

I wonder how that tea party went.

"The Central Duke Castillo, please speak." The Emperor said.

Cassien looked up and saw the Duke walk up to the front of the council. He presented the usual statistics, but something caught Cassien's eye.

"I want to present a new idea I had." The Duke announced.

"What would that be?" The emperor raised his eyebrow.

"Well, something I think we should do is raise the taxes on some luxury items. By doing so we can help those who are struggling in the country side."

Cassien agreed with his statement. Although the taxes were high on some luxury items, there could be more.

"I see, well we'll talk about that later." The Empror nodded his head and stood up, "I think this meeting was a success like usual. I know it's a bit tiring having to come to the capital for these monthly meetings, but by doing so we will be able to let this glorious Empire prosper. Glory to Valentino."

"Glory to the Empire!" The people in the council said.

The meeting was over and Cassien stood up from his chair. He then noticed that the Duke of Castillo was walking towards him.

"Greetings your highness." The Duke greeted him.

"Duke Castillo, it's been a while." Cassien shook his hand firmly, "Is there anything you need?"

"Actually there was something I realized. You have my niece living with you at your estate?"

"Oh yes." Cassien forgot to tell the Castillo family since he was caught up with work, "Sorry I didn't tell you sooner. My father was the one who actually wanted her to stay with me."

"I see...Vivian sent me a message an hour ago how they crossed paths at the Aster Tea Party." The Duke checked his phone, "You know, why don't you bring her over to the Castillo Household? You should both join us for dinner in a few days."

"I'll see if I can fit some time in during my schedule. But, I'll make sure she gets to visit you all."

"I hope you'll be able to make it. I'm sure my parents would love to see you and my niece together." He smiled at him and looked passed his shoulder, "Ah if you'll excuse me then." The Duke bowed and walked to another group of men.

The Emperor approached Cassien as he was making his way out of the Palace.

"Cassien." He called out to him.

Cassien turned around and stopped.

More documents I assume.

"How is Lyrica?" He asked Cassien.

Cassien was surprised it wasn't about work this time, but about Lyrica.

"She's at a Tea Party at the Aster household right now. She should be coming back home soon."

"I see...It's been a while since I've seen her. You are treating her nicely right?"

"What?" Cassien said confused, "Of course I'm treating her nicely. I'm treating her like any royal in this country."