Chapter 75: Klaus 'Recently Remembered He's A Father' Mikaelson

~Grace POV~

"How did you know?" Elijah asked his niece who had now explained she was well aware of her diagnosis.

"Every witch in our family locked away in a bell tower for a week?" Grace said sceptically. "Even Anastasia, who I only like a little better than you, was paying attention to me. Creepy black veins all over my body? And...it hurts, you know? How long do I have?"

"As you are now..." Elijah began sullenly. "We don't believe that you'll be strong enough to last the full moon."

"Who woulda though every bone in my body breaking all at once would be hard to handle?" She joked, but the laughter never met her eyes.

"You listen to me." Elijah told her determinedly. "Your parents are searching for a cure as we speak. They will not allow anything to happen to you. We will not allow anything to happen to you. Do you understand me?"

"Maybe it's for the best."

"Why would you say that?"

Just as she was about to answer, she noticed the boys from earlier, once again doing their level-best to make Landon miserable.

"Do you know how to drive?" Elijah asked.

"Mom and Ric taught me a little in his old car." Grace answered with a confused look.

"Well then," Elijah said before getting to his feet. "I think it's high time you drove a Bentley. Come with me."

Elijah led his niece back to the car he kept permanently stashed in Mystic Falls. Grace had seen luxury cars before, her mother had expensive tastes, but Grace had never been allowed to drive one.

"Grace, are you going to get in, or do you plan to spend all day gawking at it?" Elijah teased.

She stuck her tongue out at him but got in nevertheless and began to drive. The two began in silence, with Elijah every now and then making an approving or disapproving utterance.

"That would be a stop sign approaching. That's a stop sign."

"Okay, okay don't have a panic attack about it." She snapped as she came to a halt. "It's not like I can kill you and I already beat dying to the catch so..."

"Is it absolutely necessary to destroy this work of art in the process?" He teased.

"I know what you're doing you know." She told him. "With the milkshakes and the driving lessons. Life's little pleasures or whatever. I'm not suicidal if that's what you're worried about. That's not what I meant when I said that dying might be for the best."

"Well you certainly don't seem to have any interest in your survival." Elijah remarked.

"It's not like I wanna die." She countered. "It's just...I don't think I was meant to exist in the first place. I think about all the crazy things that led to me being born. Dad lives a thousand years, does weird ritual to become the only vampire who can procreate. Manages to fall in love with the amnesiac Enigma who by some magic is every species all at once."

"Grace—"

"They spend a thousand years together, on-again and off-again—and I am not conceived once in all that time—"

"Grace—"

"But then Pops is resurrected, kidnaps Mom, who kills him to be with Dad, and then and only then am I conceived. Boom, loophole miracle baby." Grace continued. "Or should I say miracle babies, because I was a twin who absorbed my twin sister in the womb after Mom made Aunt Hayley give birth to me."