Chapter 42: Meant To Be Mine

The kids were fast asleep and I sighed as I got out of bed, taking care not to wake either of them up. I made my way to where Klaus was staying, hoping he wouldn't still be mad at me.

"So this is where you've hovelled." I murmured to his shock. He turned back almost surprised at my being here. "It's not a mansion, but it'll suffice."

"Yes, sorry Your Majesty, but I didn't think I would be in your presence so soon." He said as he took my hand and brought it to his lips for a kiss, bowing in sync.

"I don't believe that for a second." I said with a raised brow. "You knew I was coming back."

"I never said I didn't." He replied, "I merely thought I might have to wait a few more days before your arrival."

"Hmm."

"So what brings you to my frighteningly humble abode?" He questioned.

"I wanted to thank you." I answered. "For knocking sense back into me."

"Who else but I to bring you out of the abyss?" He asked with a smirk.

"More like drag me out screaming." I added with a chuckle that he shared. "But I needed it. So, I came here to express my gratitude."

"Is that all?" Nik asked as he backed me into the wall, using an arm to lock me in.

"Yes." I answered quickly, but my voice betrayed me as he used his free hand to trail down my body.

"And yet, gratitude is easily expressed over the phone, why a simple text message would've informed of such." He continued; his mouth so close to my neck he was practically speaking into it. He pressed a kiss onto my collarbone, creating a trail all the way up my neck and to my lips.

As they collided, it felt as though I was breathing the clearest air possible, try as I might, with Nik, it always felt like he was meant to be mine. I wrapped my hands around his neck and attacked him with a fiery hunger. I needed him. Every touch of his seemed to stabilise my temperature in the best way possible, but then he pulled away.

"A shame I have no interest in being your booty call." He said with a smirk as his lips left mine.

"Did you just say booty call?" I asked with a laugh that he joined in with.

"Regardless of the phrasing, one truth remains." He told me, using his hands to caress my face. "You are not ready. Your heart is full of sorrow and it would be wrong of me to take advantage of that. I care about you far too much to even entertain the thought."

"Nik—"

"When you are ready, and I mean really ready, I swear to you Fiore Mikaelson I will be there for you. In any capacity you want me in." He assured me. "But until then..." He literally swept me off my feet and cradled me in his arms, spinning around goofily.

"What is wrong with you?" I asked as I was filled with uncontrollable giggles.

"You know what they say, love can make you do crazy things." He said as he sat down on the sofa, laying my head on his lap as he ran his fingers through my hair. "And what I feel for you transcends the notion of love."

As he spoke, I could practically hear Hayley's voice telling us how cheesy he was being. Tears filled my eyes and Nik looked back at me with clear pity. He pulled me to sit on his lap and allowed me to sob into his arms.

"I miss her so much Nik." I mumbled. "I loved her."

"I know you did." He said as he ran his hand up and down in a soothing manner against my back. "Nobody understands loss more than we do. But it means there is no one better equipped to overcome it. The people responsible for this will suffer, Blossom, they will suffer like no one has suffered before."

I knew he was talking about Greta's acolytes, but I was more concerned with the man that should have known better. Elijah sided with Greta and her foolish ideals. Which meant I wanted him to suffer. I wanted him to die. And I would ensure that he did. Because Hayley deserved better. And Elijah should have known that.

"I should go." I told him as I got to my feet. "I need to get Grace ready for her flight tomorrow."

"Okay." He replied, but I saw how much it hurt him to be away from his children. "Send my love."

"Always."

I left for the compound but before I got there, I made a stop. Ivy was a witch in need of a visit from me. Today she was going to get it.

She was in the Lafayette cemetery, clearly preparing to do a spell. She glanced up warily when she saw me, clearly aware she was on my hitlist.

"I was wondering when you were going to show up." Ivy told me with a suspicious gaze.

"I was waiting for the best time to come." I replied, a glare ingrained on my face. "I warned you not to use your stupid little cards on me."

"We were worried." She explained. "Fiore, you switched on a dime, it was clear that you could not be trusted. We needed to be sure."

"You could have asked me."

"You wouldn't have told me the truth." She replied. "Friend or no friend Fiore, your allegiance lies with the Mikaelsons, not New Orleans."

"Mmm." I said with a nod. "Well, I hope it was worth it. Seeing as all you've done is make an enemy of me."

"So is that what this is?" She queried. "An execution?"

"No. A chance for you to avoid the heavy weight of retribution." I told her, causing her face to scrunch up in confusion. "You are a powerful witch; I want one of those."

"Why do you need me to do your bidding?" She inquired.

"I want to kill Elijah." Her eyes widened in shock at my admission and she shook her head profusely.

"No." She insisted. "I will not."

"I guess we'll do this the hard way." I said with a sigh before compelling her. "You are going to help me kill Elijah Mikaelson and you aren't going to tell anyone."

**********************************************************************************

When I arrived home, the kids were still asleep and so I went to go pack Grace a quick bag for her temporary stay in Mystic Falls before returning for the funeral.

"I believe you." I turned to see Elliott who came and helped me pack for his sister.

"I thought you were asleep."

"I believed you when you said Klaus loved me." He murmured. "I really think Dad loves me."

"So why do you look so tormented?" I asked him.

"Because there is only one truth." He replied. "Either he loves me or he doesn't. And those are incompatible."

"So why do you believe he isn't telling the truth?" I continued. "Because he is. He adores you."

"Because if what he says is true then lots of other things become lies." He explained. "And I don't want those to not be true."

"Elliott—"

"I'm scared." He murmured. "I always had Hayley. She was mine. I never had to worry about sharing her because I knew she loved me more than anything. And when she—she proved how much she loved me. But Klaus' love...That scares me. Because he has so many people, he should love more than me."

"Love isn't finite." I told him. "There is more than enough love for everyone, Elliott."

"And that's what scares me the most."

He gave me a kiss on the cheek before disappearing and as he closed himself off from everyone else, I feared he was becoming something that he shouldn't. We already had one Klaus. We didn't need another.