Chapter 57: Ask Me No Questions

I waved from atop the balcony at the reunited family who were now on their way back to Mystic Falls. A relieved sigh escaped my lips until I heard footsteps come up behind me. I tensed up at the sound of them, reminding myself that I was the adult here, but also that leniency bred bad children.

"She's amazing, isn't she?" Elliott said as he stood at my side.

"Amazingly talented, certainly." I replied curtly, causing him to release an exasperated sigh.

"You're mad at me." He remarked.

"Why would I be mad at you?" I asked sarcastically. "You mean because you put an evil demon inside your sister?"

"It was necessary." He insisted. "We had to bring everyone together. And Grace wanted to help."

"I don't care what Grace wanted to do." I snapped. "She doesn't know any better. You do."

"The means aren't always good, but they justify an end. Always and Forever." He told me and I released a bitter sigh.

"You sound exactly like him."

"Who?"

"Klaus."

Elliott's eyes widened before darkening and filling with a rage that I knew was waiting to be let loose at any minute.

"That is low, Fiore." He told me.

"No, Sweetheart, it's the truth." I told him with a worried gaze.

"My mom just died. I wasn't about to—"

"Pain is awful Elliott; I'll never tell you it isn't." I interjected. "But how you handle it dictates who you are. When we thought Marcel was dead, your father's reaction when Rebekah tried to leave him was to keep the both of us by his side. By any means necessary. Because the means may have been nasty, but they justified the very same end—always and forever."

"This is different." He muttered quietly.

"Is it?" I asked sceptically. "You are one of the sweetest boys to walk the planet, Elliott. Your dad was the same. But just because you are hurt does not give you the right to leave great strides of damage in your wake."

"Do you hate me?"

"Never." I insisted, taking his face in my hands. "I only mean to say...for someone who claims to hate Klaus, you're starting to sound a lot like him."

~Anastasia POV~

"I have to go for a while." Anastasia told her older sister.

"You don't have to ask permission, love." Fiore replied with a chuckle. "You're two thousand years old, I wasn't planning on giving you a curfew."

"I wasn't asking for permission." Anastasia rejected. "I was—I am trying to convey that you have a lot of power, Fiore. Untapped, but it is still there. You have the ability to become far more powerful than you have ever conceived possible. I want to help you. I want to teach you magic."

"Anastasia—"

"You can answer when I come back."

Anastasia left her sister's room before walking out of the compound and through the French Quarter until she eventually found Alaric on his way to see his fiancé.

"Alaric Saltzman, yes?" She said as she stopped him in the street.

"Uh...yeah. Can I ask who you are?" He replied.

"I'm Anastasia Gemini." She explained, causing his eyes to widen in shock. "We have a lot to talk about. So before you go see Fiore, do you mind coming with me? I promise to make it worth your while."