Chapter 14: The Past Is Better Left Where It Is

A/N: For those of you that don't know I am a black woman. What is happening in America but all over the world to black people is wrong and to stay silent is to stay complicit.

There has been so much awful things happening to people who look like me and it has meant that writing can be hard in these times. I highlight black characters and their experiences in my stories. Fiore is a proud, loud black woman and those that she loves and cares for know that and support her.

To my black fans, I thank you for your support. I am glad we are able to rely on each other. To my white readers, I urge you to educate yourselves on racism and always speak out against it.

My worldly life is not a controversy or a political statement. I wish people would stop treating it like it is. 

Black Lives Matter. If you have even a minuscule problem with that statement don't read my books. You don't deserve me, my stories and I don't want your viewership.

And now, onto your regularly scheduled reading.

~Odessa POV~

"This is where you've been living all this time?" Odessa asked as Elijah brought her to his dingy apartment.

"If you can call it that." He said with a sigh. "The way I'm forced to feed, I'm lucky if my victims even have a wallet."

"I really need to teach you how to compel." She murmured. "Maybe then we can upgrade you to a penthouse."

"Is that what you did to that guy?" Elijah asked. "When I first met you? When you told him to go back to his friends and he did."

"Guilty as charged."

Elijah smirked as he brought out a cardboard box and gave it to Odessa to examine. She warily opened it and saw what he had meant for her to see.

"This what you wanted to show me?"

"Yes."

She rifled through the box, seeing the cufflinks he had referred to when they first met. She pulled out his black suit jacket and she chuckled as she compared it to the simple brown shirt and jeans he was wearing now.

"Based on the reference clues, it seems like you were a butler." The two laughed at her joke, which she cut abruptly when she picked out an ominous note that read "Don't Look Back." "What's this?"

"I don't know. I didn't write it." He shrugged off the suspicion and turned to her with a bright smile. "You look beautiful, by the way."

"Charmer." She winked and twirled around in her short blue dress. "Where did you say you heard about this place again?"

"I didn't." He told her. "I wanted to surprise you."

"In my experience, amnesiacs with zero life experience are rarely good at planning surprises." She teased as the two headed for Elijah's party location.

"Consider it a thank-you for taking me under your wing these past few weeks. I mean, I'd just take you someplace nice, and...I promise to get you home by midnight." He replied.

"Huh, how wholesome."

"Well, if you prefer debauchery..." Elijah ran his eyes up and down her body without pause. "We can do that."

"And just like that, you've got my attention."

She took Elijah's hand and brought him into the club with him. Practically a warehouse, Odessa laughed at the sight of the rundown arena that she knew wasn't ordinarily his wheelhouse.