Chapter 62: An Only Child

~Elliott POV~

"I need your help." Elliott told Stasia as he ran to her side. "Grace is out of control, she can't handle The Hollow."

"She should be able to in time." Anastasia said with a cavalier shrug.

"But what if she isn't?"

"Then you knew the risks."

"I am not going to let my sister die because of me!" Elliott snapped, forcing Anastasia to give him her full attention.

"I am not your lapdog to be beckoned whenever you are in need of help." Anastasia told him coolly. "I can only do so much. I am already trying to resurrect your mother before The Convergence. Have you any idea how much that will take out of me? I cannot use my powers to alter timelines as casually as you would wish. So, I recommend that you help Grace on your own, or come to terms that you may become an only child."

~Grace POV~

Grace sat on the steps of her house, waiting in terror for her brother to come in so she could apologise. She couldn't control herself when that thing would whisper to her. And she knew it shouldn't have been an excuse, but she had no other explanation.

She heard footsteps and got to her feet only to be disappointed upon seeing her father walk in on his own.

"Where's Elliott?"

"He went to see Anastasia to help you." Klaus answered.

"I can't believe I hurt him."

"Neither can I." Klaus snapped. "What was that? You won't take my help, you reject the bracelet, you're throwing Elijah around."

"It stopped the voices." She answered quietly.

"What?"

"Ever since I took the power back, those whispers—" She said in frustration. "I can't think, I can't sleep, I can't even breathe. But right now, it's silent. Is this the rest of my life? A rage that can only be quieted by violence?"

"Oh Grace," Klaus said as he sat beside her, wrapping an arm around her shoulder. "If violence is what you need to feel better, then you have the perfect father."

~Fiore POV~

I stood in the Quarter where they prepared to have a standoff against the vampire supremacists. I knew I could simply decimate each and every one of them but all I could do was doubt myself. I didn't save Lisina. I led her murderer right to her. And as Vincent spoke, I couldn't help but feel like I didn't belong amongst the people of New Orleans. Because today we were rallying against Emmett and his band of bigots, but it was only recently they were rallying against me and my family.

"I don't want a single one of y'all to forget that these are our streets." Vincent spoke. "They belong to each and every single one of us, and each and every single one of us are welcome. No matter what they say... and no matter what they do. These are our streets."

"So this is where it ends." Emmett said as he and his nightwalkers stood opposite us.

"Apparently so."

~Grace POV~

"I thought I could handle it." Grace told her father, finally admitting to herself that she wasn't strong enough. "I really did."

"You're handling it as best as you can, and I'm gonna be here with you every single step of the way." Klaus promised.

"Will you stay with me awhile?"

"Of course."

~Fiore POV~

"Come on now, Emmett." Vincent taunted. "You didn't think I wasn't gonna show up, did you?"

"So, let me get this straight." Emmett began. "Our solution, everyone in their corners, separate, was good enough when Marcel demanded it, but somehow I'm hateful for proposing the same?"

"No less hateful when it was his idea." Josh replied shrug.

"That's right." Marcel said in acknowledgment of his past.

"Marcel can't die, but you can." Emmett warned Vincent. "Are the wolves really worth dying for?"

"You're damn right."

"Enough." I snapped, making my way to the front. "You have caused me nothing but pain in the entirety of your time here. And I have had enough."

I threw my hands out, sending a wave of fire down the street only for the nightwalkers to vnish, leaving behind only their leader.

"Did you do that?" I asked Vincent angrily.

"No." Vincent insisted. "They must have a witch on their side. That's astral projection."

"Poor Vincent." Emmett said with a shake of his head. "You picked a side, and in doing so, betrayed the witches and your sweet Ivy. You should've taken me up on my offer."

Emmett too disappeared and while Vincent seemed more concerned as I, Marcel was mostly confused.

"So he came here just to bluff?"

"He came to see what side you chose." I told Vincent.

"And punish me if I chose wrong." Vincent muttered in terror.

"Vincent, you need to get to Ivy. Now."

~Declan POV~

"Drink this." Elijah said to Declan as he passed him a drink of water.

"What are you people?" Declan asked in terror.

"Vampires. Witches...Other things."

"But those are just stories." Declan said with a shake of his head. "For the tourists...aren't they?"

"You saw what you saw." Elijah said with a shrug.

"So everyone in this town, my friends, they're all—"

"Not all. Some."

"Hayley?"

"Yes, Hayley too."

"Elliott? Grace?"

"I think you'll need something a bit stronger than water." Elijah told him with a chuckle.

"Like I didn't already!" Declan snapped. "I've been a fool. An idiot in the dark about...Hayley and me. She lied. About everything."

"No, she cared for you very deeply." Elijah assured him. "That much I am quite certain of. Which is why I know she would want me to do this."

"Do what?"

Elijah held onto Declan and began to stare into his eyes. "You will forget meeting me here today. Any questions you have about Hayley's life or death will no longer plague you. You will remember only her love for you and the joy and happiness that you brought to her. And you will know, without question, that Hayley Marshall is now at peace. And with that, you'll be at peace yourself."

As Elijah walked out, Declan knew that his words should have been having a different impact on him. But instead, his main focus was on the woman who waked in no longer than five minutes after.

"Anastasia." Declan murmured nervously. "What are you doing here?"

"You know I'm not here to talk to you Declan." Anastasia told him as she held onto his face. "Can I talk to him please?"

Declan nodded until his face no longer displayed worry but instead an intense hatred. "What now?"

"Hello Ansel."