Chapter 32: It Was Always With Me

~Elijah POV~

"Apologies, I had to deal with something." Greta said as she returned from her private phone call.

"You look better than when you first arrived." Antoinette told her mother who gazed out the window.

"Must be hearing you two are engaged." Greta replied with a warm smile. "Oh, it's so lovely here. I never travelled as much as I'd have liked."

"You mean when you were a nightwalker?" Antoinette questioned. "I'm not the only one wearing a new ring."

"I had a witch make it for me before I left." Greta answered.

"I'm sure you didn't get a daylight ring just to see me." Antoinette continued.

"No, I've been wearing one for years." Her mother replied. "But, as your father believed, at times, the ends justify the means."

"And what means were those?" Elijah queried, finally speaking up.

"Our movement recognises the superiority of our species." Greta explained to the original. "And works to protect the sanctity and purity of the true vampire."

"By wearing a ring and acting like a daywalker?" Antoinette asked sceptically.

"By infiltrating those who need re-education." Replied Greta, as smug as ever. "The daywalkers are...in denial of their natural state. They live as though they'd never died and been chosen for something better than being merely human."

"They don't know the peace that comes with removing the ring." Elijah added in support.

"No, Elijah, they don't." Greta told him with a warm beam. "But our work is paying off, we've taken hold."

"That doesn't explain your sudden visit."

"No." Greta told her daughter. "But I believe Roman may be in danger."

"What's happened?" Antoinette asked with concern.

"It's my fault really." Greta began. "Your brother wanted to go away to school and I...I indulged him. But now I've learnt that he's gotten mixed up with Grace Mikaelson. He's quite fond of her. But the moment her father finds out that she's involved with a Cienna..."

"He'll kill him."

"Roman won't stand a chance against him." Greta added. "That's why I'm here. The only one strong enough to stop Klaus Mikaelson, save your brother's life is—"

"Is me." Elijah finished.

~Fiore POV~

"Don't walk away from me!" Klaus snapped as I did exactly that.

"You do not control me, Klaus, I can do whatever the bloody hell I want to, including date Alaric." I shot back as I headed to my room, Klaus following behind.

"So last night...that meant nothing to you?"

False.

"Correct." I replied, my face steeled.

"I don't believe you." He sped up to me, grabbing my waist with his hand. "If it really meant nothing to you, you wouldn't have left."

"I left because you were ignoring boundaries I had so clearly set." I countered. "Which is exactly what you're doing now. Keep your hands to yourself please."

"You didn't ask me to stop last night." He told me as he let go. "I wonder why."

"Because you're volatile and unpredictable and it's best to keep you placated." I spat out, causing his eyes to turn red with rage.