Chapter 51: Death by Fireworks

"Elliott asked for my help." Freya said as she attempted to absolve herself from the wrath of both myself and Klaus.

"And so of course you offered a hand in his destruction." Klaus replied sarcastically.

"That consequences of that curse are nearing its end." Freya continued. "All it would take is one more meeting between you and Grace to end it all. Something needed to be done."

"I was leaving New Orleans when you struck me down." Klaus countered.

"And who's to say you wouldn't be weak again?" Freya snapped. "You are willing to risk your own life to be with Fiore. Grace is your daughter. How long until you start to feel like you need to be with her? How long until you start testing the limits again?"

"You are not in any position to be throwing stones there from your glass house!" I snapped, grabbing Freya and turning her to face me, finally breaking my silence.

"Fiore, you're hurting me." Freya squirmed.

"We are trying to protect her!" I continued. "And now you mean to put the curse inside Elliott? What does that seek to solve? She is now to never be with her brother? Because it worked out so well for the other four. You of all people should know that letting Elliott do this is a mistake."

"Perhaps I was wrong to put my faith in you." Klaus interjected, separating me from his sister. "Your allegiance to this family seems to have been infringed upon by other plans. Keelin's back, isn't she?"

"Stop it!" Freya yelled at him. "I have sacrificed everything for this family! Everything for you. For Grace. And especially Elliott. I understand that you are trying to protect him, but that is not what he needs from you right now. But it's not like you've been very good at understanding what Elliott needs in the past, so why should I expect you to now?"

"How dare—"

"Tell me I'm wrong!" Freya shot back at me. "Tell me that whilst Klaus was gone, that I wasn't here. With you. With Hayley. Tell me that every wrong thing Grace did wasn't tied to Klaus. Tell me that Elliott didn't do every single thing we asked of him. Tell me that the one time he acted out isn't because of him. Because he wanted a dad. Tell me I'm wrong Fiore, please."

The two of us were brought to silence at her outburst. Me because I knew everything she said was true. Klaus because even still he was yet to see the damage his absence had brought upon his children.

"Your son has a power beyond measure." Freya continued. "The fractures between you have been mended. He is not leaving his sister behind; he is not going to let her suffer when he knows there is something he can do about it. And I am not going to sit about to wait and see what he does with a lifetime of missing both of his parents. We have to let him makes his own choices."

"He's still a child, Freya." Klaus protested soberly. "Eight years ago, you ensured that his childhood was not marred by this evil spirit."

"And I tried as hard as I could to keep it that way." She replied. "But it is too late now. His childhood ended three days ago when he lost his mother. And as long as that power rests inside of you, he's as good as orphaned."

"Freya—"

"Klaus, we have all done dangerous things for family, and we've seen each other through it." His older sister interrupted. "Now it's his turn."

"Freya, you have to stop him." I pleaded. "Please."

She turned to me with glassy eyes and shook her head in disapproval. "No."

She disappeared, her lock along with her, leaving Klaus and I to try and wrap our heads around the repercussions of what was to be a dark day.

~Klaus POV~