Chapter 40: Following The Scent of Chaos and Death

"You know, Stefan Salvatore had always wondered what had led to my love for Rippers." Klaus began. "He never expected I had married one."

"Stefan was stupid." I replied as I discarded of the body I was already feeding on, leaving him on my pile. "And like most men, he was led by the wrong head."

"Perhaps. I think your ability to control yourself as you do might have had more of an impact." Klaus told me with a shrug. "Have you had fun?"

"Lots." I told him with a smirk. "This is the 32nd today alone. Fancy being the 33rd?"

"I fancy bringing you home."

"I don't want to go home." I said as I wiped the blood of my mouth as best as I could.

"You can pretend your humanity is off, but I know you, so stop this fallacy." He snapped and I rolled my eyes at him.

"I'm not pretending my humanity's off; I'm embracing the truth of my nature." I countered. "I was pretending before when I had to keep myself restrained. Never again."

"I know you are hurting; I know." Klaus said as he gingerly walked towards me. "Talk to me, please. Just let me help you."

There was a pause and neither of us said anything. Klaus was waiting for me to explain myself and I was waiting for the courage to do so.

"They got Hayley, Nik." I murmured, sinking into my pit of pain. "Greta brutalised her and then—she died. Hayley is gone and I can't ever get her back."

"I know, I know." Klaus told me as a tear fell down my face, he took me in his arms, wrapping me in a warm embrace. "I am so sorry, Blossom."

"I couldn't save her." I replied. "And I don't have Alaric, so I don't have anyone."

"You have me."

"No, no I don't." I said as I pulled my face from his chest, looking up at him with a longing gaze. "You'll have to go soon."

"But I will not desert you again, I promise." He assured me. "I swear it, you will have me and you'll have Grace. But only if you stop this and come home."

"Don't you dare talk about my daughter!" I snapped, pulling away from him. "You don't know anything about her. She will be better off without me."

"And that is exactly what I said!" Klaus raged, pinning me against the brick wall. "That is exactly what I said before I lost the both of you for six years. And perhaps I have lost you forever, but I will never let you lose yourself. Let me help you out of the abyss."

As I peered into his eyes I realised the truth of the matter, I never would have him forever. There was a limit on our time together.

"I really don't have you." I murmured sadly. "Even if I want you. And I want you, Nik."

"I want you too." He said, his grip on me loosening.

"You are not listening to me." I pulled his face down and kissed him for the first time in years, my lips crashing onto his with a feverish hunger. "I want you."

I pushed him against the opposite wall, as I kissed him, the two of us attacking at each other's clothes to strip them so we could finally love each together as we were meant to. Like animals.

His lips met my neck as we met each other in sync, it almost felt like this was us. Like this was how our lives were always going to be. But as I held his neck in my hands, I knew it wasn't.

"I love you so much." He whispered tiredly against my collarbone. "When I said I longed for your touch all these years, I meant it."

I smiled and pulled him in for a kiss, but as I pulled away I snapped his neck, chuckling as his body fell conveniently onto my pile of dead bodies.