Chapter 58: Only Job That Has Ever Mattered

Alaric and I were both standing in front of the house he had bought as a show of faith for our future as he took it all away from us. I examined him in confusion of his uncharacteristic outburst, not to mention, I didn't even know he was coming here.

"I said we need to break up." He repeated. "This isn't working for me anymore."

"Why? What brought this on? I don't understand." I rambled out.

"I don't have all the answers." Alaric told me with a sigh. "I just know that I don't want this. Not today, not tomorrow."

"Ric...um...okay." I stood there awkwardly, with neither of us knowing what to say. I made the first move by taking off my ring and toying with it momentarily before offering it up to him. "I guess you should take this."

"You keep it." He said with a shake of his head.

"I don't want it." I said curtly, before pressing it into his hands.

"Okay." He nodded awkwardly. "I'll...I'll see you around, Fiore."

"Yeah."

He walked away and as soon as he walked away, I addressed my nosy eavesdropping guest, not turning to face him.

"I'm guessing you heard all that." I said as I sat down on a nearby bench.

"I did." Silas said as he came to sit beside me. "I'm sorry that happened to you."

"Thanks."

"But if it makes you feel any better, it wouldn't have worked out between you anyway." Silas added, wrapping an arm around my shoulders. "You are still so in love with Klaus. Anyone else would just be second best. With a gaping difference."

"So what? I should just be with Nik forever?" I asked with a sigh.

"A thousand years ago, you agreed to do just that." He countered.

"You don't even like Klaus."

"But I love you." He told me. "And if he makes you happy, then you should be with him."

He pressed a kiss to my forehead and squeezed me comfortingly. I let myself drift into the idea of normalcy between us, but then I remembered his last transgression.

"You know, this doesn't mean you can stay with me now." I said as I gingerly pulled away from him.

"Do you really think I said all that so I can have a place to stay?" He asked in exasperation. "Fiore, I know you are angry at me and I understand why but... I know you aren't a child anymore but...I still remember you from when you were a little girl. I still remember the day I saw you for the first time and for the last time. And I know you've grown so much, into a woman that is even more amazing than I could have ever thought possible. But I have only ever had one job that has ever mattered—protecting you. And judging by your disdain of my methods, you don't agree with the way I did it, but that is what I wanted to do. All I've ever wanted to do is protect you. Which is why Klaus infuriates me. Because you will always be that little girl that I promised to protect."

"But Father—"

"Tell me you don't feel the same way about Elliott and Grace." Silas requested and I couldn't argue against him. "I love you Fiore. And I want all the happiness for you in the world, even if it is with Klaus."

"I love you too. You scared me earlier." I confessed.

"I'm sorry." He replied. "But I am not leaving you again. I can promise you that."

"Make sure you keep it."

"I will." He said with a quick squeeze of my hand. "Except for right now where I will leave you to the home I already have."