Chapter 68: Be There For Me

"You didn't have to come." Grace told me as she added flowers to Bill's memorial shrine. "I know you're mad at me."

"I wanted to make sure you were alright." I told her.

"I don't get the point of leaving flowers." Grace murmured with a frown. "It doesn't do them any good. And it's not like it's much of an apology for killing someone."

"It wasn't on purpose." I countered with a sigh. "You were trying to do the city good."

"No, I was trying to get the magic out of me." She said with a shake of her head. "And what good was it? It made you mad at me, at Dad and it didn't even last more than a few hours."

"How bad at the whispers right now?" I asked her.

"Okay." She answered with a shrug. "Not as bad as when he gets his revenge and I transform next week."

"As scared as you feel right now, you will feel better once you've gone through it." I assured her.

"I'm not even scared." She said with a shake of her head. "I'm more scared that I'll choose to not ever turn back. Aunt Hayley said that after the pain it's one of the best feelings in the world."

"Your Aunt Hayley also thought that Ice Road Truckers was one of the best feelings in the world." I teased, but my daughter was feeling far more sombre.

"She's never gonna feel that way again." Grace said sadly. "And Elliott is gonna have to go through all that without her."

We stood in silence for a moment as we both mourned the death of Hayley with great difficulty. It was Grace who broke the silence as she turned to me with a sigh.

"Do you think you'll have stopped hating me by then?"

"I don't hate you." I promised her. "I just—"

"You know what I did was wrong." Grace muttered as tears started to brim in her eyes. "I'm sorry Mom, I'm so sorry."

She started to bawl and I wrapped her in as warm and as tight an embrace as I could muster. "I know baby, I know."

"I wish it had never happened." She told me as she pulled her way and wiped her tears.

"Everything happens for a reason my girl." I told her. "This too will pass."

~Freya POV~

When I arrived at the compound, Freya was standing with Klaus, looking giddier than I had ever seen before. Klaus shot me a waned glance, but I ignored it and turned to my excited friend with a smirk.

"Bloody hell Freya, did you get engaged again?" I asked with a laugh.

"One better." She answered with a beam. "Keelin and I decided to get married. Today."

"Oh my goodness." I muttered in shock. "This is the biggest task I have ever been given in my life."

"I was going to ask you to plan, but clearly you have already assumed correctly." She said with a giggle.

"I know the perfect venue and it isn't open today, but that's nothing that some compulsion won't solve." I murmured. "If I had known it would be this quickly, I would've worked harder on my binder."

"Well I guess I'll just leave you and Klaus to it."

"Me and who?" I asked, zoning back in at the mention of my husband.

"Yeah, I thought you two would—" She looked between the two of us and realised that we were once again on the outs. "But you were fine yesterday morning!"