Chapter 39: It Never Is And It Never Will Be

~Elliott POV~

When Elliott opened his eyes, all he saw was a charred remain of what used to be his mom. His Hayley. He looked up and locked eyes with his father but that only hurt him more. Because he wanted Hayley. He needed Hayley.

"I am so sorry." Klaus told him. But words didn't mean anything. Especially not for him.

And as Elliott felt his rage spiral out of control, he noticed it had gotten hotter. Klaus' eyes widened and as Elliott looked around, he saw the fire that had surrounded them all.

And then he caught Elijah. And Elliott knew he wanted him dead. Elliott held his hand out and Elijah was lifted to the air as the blood inside the Original began to boil.

"You watched as my mom died." Elliott told him. "I don't care if you don't remember because I do. You promised that you would protect her till your dying breath. And I'm going to make sure you keep it."

"NO!" Klaus yelled. "I will not let you go down this path!"

But Elliott simply flicked his wrist and Klaus' neck snapped, leaving the tribrid to focus on hurting the person who had hurt him.

"I never liked you to begin with. Now I finally have a reason to kill you." Elliott muttered, feeling the heat radiating off his own body.

"Elliott, stop." He heard the voice of Fiore and knew that she would try to stop him. She waved her hand and the fire was put out, causing Elijah more pain.

"NO!" Elliott yelled. "HE PROMISED!"

"I know, but I won't let you do this." Fiore told him. "Now...sleep."

"Fiore—"

"You are not listening to me." Fiore said, louder this time. "Sleep."

Helpless to her compulsion, Elliott fell asleep in her arms, like his mother before him. Only unlike his mother, Elliott would wake up.

~Klaus POV~

"Fiore, I—"

"Go." Fiore told him as she lay his son inside the car. "Take your children and go."

"What about you?" He questioned.

"I'll be fine!" She snapped. "Just go!"

Klaus followed the orders given to him and rushed to take his children back to New Orleans, both of whom were yet to wake up. As he carried them into the compound he was confronted by a livid Alaric and sighed as he lay his children to rest on the lounge sofa.

"What the hell did you do?" Alaric asked him, completely enraged.

"What do you want?" Klaus asked, not in the mood to entertain him.

"Where is Fiore? What did you do?" Alaric continued.

"I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING!" Klaus bellowed. "And if you do not explain yourself within the next two seconds, it'll be you I do something to."

"She—She sent me this." Alaric said as he pressed play on a voice recording.

"Alaric." Klaus was confused as he heard Fiore's teary voice sounding through. "I have to end this. Whatever this is. Before it's too late. I'm sorry it's over the phone but it's just for the best. I have to—I have to go. Because all I do is hurt people and I don't want to hurt you. Or anyone else that I love. I'm sorry."

"What happened?" Alaric asked again.

"Hayley—Hayley she—"

"She died." Grace answered. Klaus turned to her and feared as he heard the whispers begin again. "And now my mom is gone too." She continued as she began to sob.

"Gracie—"

"GO AWAY!" Grace bellowed at her headteacher, who nodded and left knowing it to be for the best.

"Grace, I am so sorry." Klaus told his sobbing child.

"I don't want you!" Grace yelled at him. "You are never here! So just go! You should never have come back in the first place, I just—where is my mom? Where is she?"

"She'll be here any minute n—"

"DON'T LIE TO ME!" She roared. "She's leaving. She hates what I did and now she can't even be in the same room as me. I am the worst child ever. I killed her best friend. I killed her. I killed her."

"I swear that I am going to find her and bring her home." He told her, but the teenager merely scoffed.

"That's what you said about Hayley." She told him coldly. "And I rather not have her at all than you bring her home in a body bag."

"Grace—"

"Aunt Hayley is dead. She's dead. And it is my fault!" Grace said as tears poured down her face. "And I need more than you! I need the person who has never ever left my side until now! I need my mom."

"She is coming back."

"I'll believe it when I see it." Grace told him before storming off to her room.

**********************************************************************************

As Klaus sat in his study, feeling completely useless and unhelpful to his entire family, a letter apparated in the air and fell to the table before him.

He snatched it out of the air, hoping it would be Fiore, telling him where he could find her but he only found himself sighing at Caroline's handwriting.

Dear Klaus

You and I are no strangers to heartbreak and yet each loss hits more deeply than the one before. I've had to return to my daughters, as I'm sure you can understand. Please know, I am a phone call away if you need a friend. Although this time around, let's not keep it from Fiore. Be strong for her please, this will hurt her a lot and she might not admit, but she needs you. Don't let her run away from this. Remind her that her anger is not her happy place—her family is. With all my sorrow and with love for you and your family.

Caroline.

As he read the letter, it clicked in him what he needed to do. He was going to find her. And this time, he would not fail.

~Elliott POV~

"She's dead." Elliott muttered.

Anastasia sighed and turned back to face her tribrid love with a saddened gaze. His eyes were red and raw from the tears he had shed and his dark brown hair dishevelled.

"Did you see it?" Anastasia asked, to which he shook her head.

"She told me to close my eyes." He explained. "That it would all be over in a second."

"Elliott—"

"But it's not over, Stasia." He told her. "And it never is and it never will be."

"I told you not to go." She told him soberly.

"I couldn't not—I had to be there." He mumbled before bursting into another bout of tears.

Anastasia pulled him into a tight hug and allowed him to pour out his pain into her arms. She rubbed his back and soothed him as best as she could, but Elliott knew it would never be enough.

"It had to happen." She reminded him. "This was the only way."

~Klaus POV~

Klaus had made his way to Baton Rouge and was slightly impressed but mostly concerned about the pile of dead bodies on the alley floor.

"It's been a while, Ripper."

A/N: Now just what is going on there...?

Happy Enigma Day! Lots of love and thank you all so much for the continued support! X