Chapter 64: Up To You

~Grace POV~

The voices in her head had refused to relent that morning as she woke up, desperate to destroy everyone and anyone in her path, but completely unable to. She decided to get out of her bed and go on a walk, hopeful that it would quell at least some of her rage. However, the second she stepped out of her room, she found her parents in the midst of some very R-Rated kissing and hurriedly stepped back inside.

She giggled to herself, happy that her parents were patching things up, before gagging as she realised just how they were going to patch things up.

She sighed before picking up her phone and making a phone call she had hoped would never have to come to fruition. She climbed down from her balcony and began to wander along the streets of the French Quarter as the phone rang.

"Gracie?" Alaric answered groggily.

"Hey Ric, I know it's late, but could I please talk to Lizzie and Josie?" Grace asked. "Just for a little bit."

"Uh, yeah. Yes. Of course."

She heard Alaric groan as he went out of bed to his daughters' bedroom. "Girls? Girls, I know you're not sleeping. You're not in trouble."

"Then what is it?" Lizzie asked.

"Uh, Grace wants to speak with you."

"Grace Mikaelson?" The two said in unison.

"The one and only."

There was a pause before eventually Josie spoke up. "Okay."

Their father left the phone to them and the three girls were all in an awkward silence all of them unable to decide how to broach Grace's sudden reinterest in friendship.

"Grace, you're the one who wanted to speak to us." Lizzie started.

"I know, I know." She began with a sigh. "I'm sorry. I just—I'm having a really tough time. And I don't know anyone else to turn to. And you guys are kinda the closest things I have to sisters. And best friends."

"I thought you hated us." Josie murmured.

"I never hated you." Grace confessed. "Or at least not you specifically. I hated everyone. Because I didn't want to give anyone else the chance to abandon me...like my dad did. But I took it out on you. And that wasn't fair. I'm sorry."

There was silence from the other end of the line before Lizzie spoke up. "I'm sorry too. I should never have come into your room that day and said all those things. I was scared I was losing my dad. But I shouldn't have dumped all that on you. Especially with everything going on."

"Apology accepted." Grace murmured with a smile.

"So, now that the gross stuff is over, what's up?" Lizzie asked. "Why are you calling at like midnight?"

"I just didn't want to be alone." Grace confessed.

"You're never alone." Josie told her. "No matter what happens... we're sisters. Even if we aren't always friends."

"Girls, you need to go to sleep now." Grace heard Alaric say.

"But Daaaaaad, Grace needs us." Lizzie insisted.

"It's okay." She said with a happy chuckle. "You guys go. I'll see you around."

Alaric took the phone back and spoke to Grace as he made his way back to his own bed. "Grace, I don't know why you called. But I know that the girls appreciate it. And I do too."

"Do you ever think things will go back to the way things used to?" She asked him.

"I think that's up to you, Gracie."