Chapter 76: Today Is All She Has

"How dare you not tell me?" I asked him in a rage. "Where did you even get that vile thing?"

"After Elliott left me, Anastasia paid me a visit." He explained. "She brought it over from a different timeline. I meant to destroy it but...when I was alone, the weight of immortality was heavier than I had been used to."

"You cannot die!" I told him. "Think of what you leave behind!"

"Fiore, you know there is no other choice to be had." Klaus replied with a sigh.

"I just need time. I'll—"

"We don't have time." He said with a shake of his head. "The magic in our daughter is rooted too deeply."

"No, there is always another way!" I insisted, taking a deep breath. "You and I both know that."

"Yes, we do." He agreed. "I am certain that somewhere in some forgotten language, in some city lost in lava lies buried the secret to have everything we want all at once. But we're not gonna find it today. And today is all she has."

I sat down on the bench and covered my face with my hands, trying desperately not to break down in a flood of tears. My husband came to my side to comfort me, but that only made it harder to keep the floodgates closed.

"Come on now, love." He began. "You knew I was gonna be away for a long time. Now it's just a bit longer."

"This isn't the same thing." I said as I turned to him with teary eyes. "As hard as it was to entertain the idea of keeping you locked away, I knew that some way, somewhere down the line, I could bring you back. I would bring you back. I had all the time in the world. And now I still have it, but I don't have you to spend it with."

"I'm so sorry, Blossom." He told me earnestly. "But if doing this will save our daughter's life, then there isn't even a choice to be had."

I pulled him in for a kiss, knowing that the time we had left together was dwindling. As I broke the kiss, he shot me a bittersweet smile and I quickly got to my feet in a fit of stress filled determination.

"My favourite colour is red. I hate blue. And that shirt." Was the first thing I said to my puzzled husband. "Let me go get Alaric on board."

**********************************************************************************

"I suppose you're here to convince me once and for all, huh?" Alaric asked.

"Ric, he loves her." I assured him. "He is dying, knowing that he'll never get to see her or his son grow up. Never get to see me again. Elijah, Rebekah, Freya, Kol, Marcel—leaving everyone behind—all to save her. He isn't taking this lightly."

"You know, in another life, we're together and Klaus dying is a good thing for us." He told me with a deep sigh as he handed me a glass.

"Klaus' death will never be a good thing for me. Even if I was still with you." I countered as I sipped my drink. "He's still Grace's father. And I'll still always love him. If anything, it would have complicated things even more. I'll have always wondered what if."

"Do you wonder that about us?"

"Sometimes."

The doorbell rang and I frowned as I hadn't been expecting anyone that day. Still I went to the door and found Alaric standing there in a fancy tux with a box of chocolates in his hand.

"Apologies Ric, but your prom date is in another mansion." I teased, causing him to let out a nervous laugh.

"Funny."