Chapter 86: I Want To Be Different

"Two thousand years ago, I don't think I ever could have imagined this is where we would be." My father told me as we walked through Bourbon street together.

"I don't think anyone could have imagined this." I replied with a bitter laugh.

"Fiore, I hope you know how sorry I am." He stopped and turned to look in my painfully bright eyes with despair. "If I could go back and do things differently, I would."

"I wouldn't." I told him with a smile. "Yes, life is tumultuous nowadays but it's also wonderful. I love the family I have made here and if all those bad things hadn't happened, perhaps they wouldn't be here right now."

"Perhaps. I only wish I could have spared you the pain along the way."

Silas brought me into the comforting clutches of his warm embrace and smoothed down my hair. He held on tightly and I could tell he already knew what I was about to ask him.

"I have to go, don't I?"

I nodded my head sadly as a tear manage to escape. I pulled away and looked up into his eyes with a dismayed sigh.

"There won't be away for me to explain your being here." I explained. "I'm sorry."

"Never apologise for protecting your family." He replied with a beam. "I'll love you both from afar. And I swear that no harm will come to her."

"Thank you."

"But this is not the end."

"Father, don't."

"You are my only child." He countered. "My everything. And no one is going to take the light you bring away."

"She will take it out on my family, and I cannot have that." I said with a shake of my head. "Please don't."

"I cannot remain complacent." My father told me as we reached the front of the compound. "But I would never do anything to jeopardise the ones you love."

"Father, I—"

"Mom! Pops!" Grace said as she ran to give us a hug.

"Good to see you're feeling better." Silas told her with a fond smile. "I hate to see someone as special as you in pain."

"Well I'm all better now." She told him with a bright beam, spinning around to prove it to him. "Thanks to your daughter. You must have done a pretty good job."

"Your mother is a self-made woman." Silas replied with a shake of his head. "And I'm sure you're gonna be just as wonderful as she is."

"Even more than me." I interjected. "And lucky you Baby, Silas is going to ensure you're safe forever and ever. Isn't that right, Father?"

"Forever and ever." He promised.

"I'll give you two a moment."

I hugged my father tightly before walking to my room where Rebekah was already waiting for me. Her eyes locked on to mine and as she took in the permanent purple hue my eyes had taken up, she shook her head sympathetically. She strode up to me and pulled me into a tight hug, not saying anything and not forcing me to say anything either.

"How did you know I would need this?" I managed to ask.

"We've been family for a long time, Fiore. I always know." She replied. "These past few days have been pure insanity."

"Why? Because Klaus and Elijah were going to off themselves, Ansel came back to life, Grace nearly died and Hayley spontaneously resurrected?"

"You're right. This is just a regular old Casual Friday." Rebekah and I laughed as I pulled away. I watched her calculatingly and realised I owed her much more.