Chapter 31: You and Alaric

~Elijah POV~

There was a knock-on Elijah's door late that night and he glanced warily at his fiancé. She didn't seem nervous, so he let her answer the door, with mild concern on his part.

"Mother." Antoinette said when she opened the door to Elijah's surprise. "What happened to you?"

"The path to redemption is long and winding." Greta answered tiredly. "But worthy."

Finally, Elijah rose from his seat to go meet the two women at the door, intrigued to meet the woman Antoinette had accepted as her mother.

"Elijah, is it?" Greta said with a weakened gaze. "What a pleasure it is to finally meet you."

"And you."

~Josh POV~

Josh nervously trekked into the Mikaelson compound hoping to find Elliott and talk to him about the fight they'd had. With the help of Davina, he had a clear game plan and now all that was left to do, was to carry it out.

"What are you doing here?" Klaus asked the minute he saw him.

"I'm looking for Elliott." The vampire replied calmly.

"Typical." Klaus told him with a smirk. "It's a shame he doesn't want to see you. You can show yourself out."

"Look Klaus, I know you don't like me, but I don't care." Josh snapped, surprising the hybrid. "Elliott is my friend so you can get over it and move out of my way."

"Your friend?" Klaus asked with a scoff. "I think you see Elliott as much more than a friend, young Joshua. I think you're in love with him."

"That's insane." Josh replied with a roll of his eyes.

"I don't think it is." Klaus continued. "I think it's taken you a while to realise just how much you care for Elliott. Too bad Anastasia already has his heart. In fact, she's had it for quite some time."

"You're lying."

"Perhaps I was wrong to blame you for the deterioration of your relationship. It seems as though Elliott was the one playing you." Klaus told him with a smirk. "Again, you know where the—"

"You're one to talk about being played." Josh interrupted bravely. "You think Fiore is putty in your hands but she's not. And I'm sure her boyfriend would agree with me."

"Excuse me?" Klaus asked angrily.

"Why do you think she spends all her time with Alaric?" Josh continued. "What do you think they're doing right now?"

"HOW DARE YOU LIE TO ME?" Klaus roared, forcing Josh against the bricked wall.

"I'm not lying." Josh spluttered out, but Klaus only held on to him tighter. "Are you gonna kill me Klaus? Because Elliott might be mad at me, but he hates you. So I'll die knowing that I only pushed you two further away."

Klaus glared at him but let go, tossing him onto the ground.

"Get out."

~Fiore POV~

"Alaric, love, just so you know, not a fan of blindfolds, in the bedroom or out of it." I told him as he led me with my eyes covered.

"Almost there."

"Almost where?" I asked in exasperation.

"Here."

He took off the blindfold and I frowned as soon as my eyes met our location. It was a house that was for sale.

"I'm going to need a lot more information." I told him.

"This is a house I'm thinking of getting." He told me with a grin.

"You mean..."

"I want to move here. With you." He replied. I beamed up at him and pulled him in for a tight hug, pulling away with a laugh.

"But what about your school? And the girls? And Caroline?"

"I'll still keep my house in Mystic, I'll stay here whenever I'm off and the girls can come here during the holidays and if Care wants to stay here then she can." He explained. "I've got it all figured out."

"I already have a house though, Ric." I reminded him. "It's pretty big. You don't need to buy this."

"Which leads me to this..." He began, taking a deep breath. "So, these four years have been amazing. I haven't been this happy in a while. And a lot of that is thanks to you."

"I'm happier with you too." I replied with a kiss.

"I didn't think I would get this again, after the bevy of dead girlfriends I had." He said with an awkward chuckle. "But then, there you were. Someone who knew exactly how I felt. You started off as just this crazy friend of mine and then things got...R-rated, shall we say?"

"Hell yeah, they did." I said with a grin.

"And then I got to know you more and more until you were the first person I wanted to speak to in the morning and the last person I wanted to speak to at night." He continued. "I love when you make those awful pancakes—"

"Grace loves my pancakes!"

"No, she really doesn't." Alaric refuted with a laugh. "And I love watching musicals with you, especially when you mouth the words because you've seen them so much."

"What did you do, Alaric?" I asked nervously. "You are being very nice to me and I don't trust it."

"I'm gonna be like this with you every day from now on because that is how you deserve to be treated." Alaric continued before he got down on one knee and pulled out a velvet black box.

"Oh my gosh." I murmured, knowing where this was going now, my stomach churning in revulsion as I shook my head in shock.

"Fiore, will you do me the honour of becoming my wife?" He asked.

I could've thrown up right then and there. If I wasn't an undead human being, I would've.

"No." I uttered to his horror. "I can't—I don't want to marry you."

"Is this about Grace?" He asked, getting to his feet. "Because I asked and she's oka—"

"This has nothing to do with Grace." I said with a shake of my head. "I don't want to get married. Ever again. To anyone."

"Fiore—"

"I need to go."

I rushed back to the compound, unable to decide whether I wanted to cry or just crawl up in a ball and die instead.

The minute I had gotten there, I hoped to go to my room in peace, but of course, how would that happen in my life in my home?

"So, you and Alaric?" Klaus asked, stopping me in my tracks.

Splendid.