Chapter 23: You Can Never Be Alone

~Grace POV~

Grace stood in front of the window where Henry jumped, contemplating what her aunt had said to her, what her brother would say when he saw her and even what had become of her would-be friend had she not given him her blood.

"Is it just me or is this room starting to get a reputation?" Grace jumped when she noticed Roman sat on the windowsill, smiling slightly when she realised it was him. "Henry jumped, and here you are looking like you might."

"I've had kind of a day." She told him in earnest.

"Your Aunt?"

"Still no sign of her." She replied with a sigh. "And, my brother's back in town so he's gonna know it was me that did this to her. And, according to my Aunt Freya, all of the witches in New Orleans think I'm gonna melt the city if she doesn't come home."

"You can do that?"

"Probably." She said with a humourless laugh. "I don't know. I don't care. I'm just tired of everyone being so frightened of me."

"That's understandable." He commiserated.

"You know, now's the part you say you're not scared of me." She told him with a chuckle.

"No can do, I am terrified." He explained. "But I'm also kind of a risk taker."

Her aunt cleared her throat and the two were broken out of their moment by her interruption as she drew nearer.

"I think that's my cue." Roman said with an awkward nod before disappearing.

"Ooooooh." Freya teased. "A private audience with the boy who sweats diamonds. Oh sorry, I mean diamond dust, right?"

Grace chuckled in her embarrassment before going up to her aunt with a dismayed look. "Aunt Freya, I am so sorry." The tribrid apologised. "I shouldn't have exploded like that."

"No." Freya said with a shake of her head. "You don't need to be sorry. You didn't ask for any of this. You didn't start it."

"But I'm sure as hell gonna finish it, right?" Grace asked. "One way or another." Freya didn't respond and Grace could only chuckle at the irony. "So what do we do now?"

~Elliott POV~

Elliott stood beside his friend Vincent as the funeral for Collette took place. He rested a hand against Vincent's shoulder who appreciated the gesture.

"You couldn't have known." Elliott told him. "Klaus is unpredictable, no tarot card could have prepared any of us for him. And I'll remind you, I am the literal timekeeper."

Vincent chuckled in spite of himself before turning to him with worry. "Elliott, why did you do that to your dad?"

"Because he was going to kill Josh." Elliott replied.

"But you could have stopped him in a less painful manner and yet you made him suffer." Vincent asked. "What do you know that we don't?"

"Lots of things." Elliott answered with a chuckle. "But Klaus deserves suffering. And those of us that are powerful enough to inflict it on him, should. With force."

"You said he would become the hero of everybody's story." Vincent reminded him.

"I was naïve." The tribrid murmured sadly. "And I had only seen the parts of Klaus that he wanted me to see. The real Klaus, abandons his daughter and his wife without an explanation."

"And what did the real Klaus do to you?" Vincent asked determinedly.

Elliott didn't answer as his father walked up to the two of them, no doubt to ask for a favour. "I knew you wouldn't be down for too long." The tribrid muttered bitterly to his father's dismay.