Chapter 42: Checks and Balances

Anna's POV

We all stood there and watched all the Kings and Queens of Old go through the tree portal. When it was Edmunds turn, I locked eyes with him for what felt like the last time. Now all that was left was for Aslan to go through but he made no motion to go. Instead, he breathed again for the door in the tree to close. He then turned to the rest of us, "Before I leave you, I must speak with Anna... alone,"

Everyone turned and looked at me expecting me to know what's going on. Truth was, I had no idea what was going to happen. I just followed Aslan as he headed back towards the rose gardens. He didn't speak until we were out of earshot and surrounded by flowers. "Now I bet you are wondering why I brought you here to talk,"

"Well, that was one of the things on my mind,"

"What else is on your mind?"

"Nothing really. Just the slight fear of not being right for this job and not doing a good job at ruling Narnia,"

"Ah, I see. You should know, I have no doubts about your ability to lead. You have already proven yourself to have the abilities and capability to do a good job,"

"I suppose that is true. Now, what is it that you wanted to talk to me about?"

"I would like to talk to you about your powers,"

"The phoenix part of me? What's wrong?"

"Nothing is wrong. It's more of a request than a lecture,"

I looked at him confused. Why would Aslan ask a request of me? I thought to myself as I waited for him to ask me his request.

"I was wondering if you hide, well hide is a bad word, but suppress your powers?"

"Why on earth would I do that? I totally respect you and would never disobey a command from you. But this sounds a little extreme, don't you think?"

Aslan sighed, "I only ask to protect you. Not many people know you are The Phoenix. Some still think it is only a legend. And those that were there during the battle, don't know it was you that became the phoenix and defeated Adam. They only looked on from afar. The people who know it was you are those who you work most closely with,"

"Ok, that part I kind of figured out for myself. But what I don't understand is why that matters? I thought there was peace throughout all of Nania,"

"Oh don't worry, there is. But there are those who would do anything to harness that power. Some would go as far as Adam did. Which is why it is important for you to not use your powers unless it is truly needed,"

"You don't want me flying around the kingdom or playing with fire all the time is what you're getting at. I see," I sighed before responding again, "Ok that I can do. There's no real use for them anyway. I'd rather hide them and then get to use them as a surprise attack on some foreign enemy if we ever face one. I just hope it doesn't get that bad that we'll need our powers,"

"I completely agree with you on that one. It's a delicate balance we have to maintain. Keep one's powers hidden to keep the balance in check. I'm glad you understand,"

"Yeah. I just hope that I get to fly again one day. You know? When I turn into The Phoenix there's this... feeling of calm serenity around me. It's like all the pain I've suffered and fears I have just go away for a bit,"

"I see. I have heard of that feeling happening to the last phoenix but that was such a long time ago at this point,"

"What were they like?" I was genuinely curious to see if I was anything like them

Aslan stopped walking and turned to me, "To be honest, there are many differences between you and him," I tilted my head at him, "Yes the last phoenix was a boy. Which is why Ariana thought it would be Zoran or Patrick to be the phoenix. But you surprised us all. And in a good way. I won't say much on him because I don't want you trying to act like him. But like you, he was a natural leader and a fierce warrior. So don't worry, I think he would be proud,"

"Well, it would be nice to get to meet him one day. But if not that is quite alright too. I assume he is with you in your kingdom with Edmund and the others,"

"My kingdom was open to him, yes. But he chose to continue onward and rest in peace. I think he had had enough adventure in his life that he wanted a change of pace,"

We started walking again. It was only til I could hear other voices that I realised we had returned to the great oak tree. There was some staff still outside and Patrick was reading a book by the tree. I turned to Aslan, "It's time for you to go now isn't it?"

"Yes, my dear one it is. I must return to where I am needed. But I know our paths will cross again one day. But for now, please go off and enjoy. You've earned the right to get some good rest,"

I laughed, "Well that is certainly true," then in a more serious tone, "Thank you. For everything. But mainly for trusting me to know what to do and what is the right thing to do,"

He nodded at me. But before I turned to go, I gave him a great big hug and he hugged me back, well as best as a lion could. When we parted I turned back towards the castle and walked towards Patrick. When I got to him he asked, "Where did Aslan go?"

I smiled knowing full well where he had gone, "Back to his kingdom I suppose,"

Patrick looked at me with concern, "Why did he... actually what did he want to talk to you about?"

"Nothing much. Just some business that needed to be taken care of. Now come on, I'm pretty sure as a Queen and you as a King we have work to do,"

"Ah but doesn't being a king mean that I get to lie around all day and do nothing," groaned Patrick

I helped him to his feet, "Well that's true I guess but if Ariana gets wind of it, don't be surprised when she comes after you," I then let go of his hand so that he fell back down

"Hey!" he yelled but I was already running back towards the castle laughing "Oh you are so on! I'm gonna get you," and with that, he chased after me.