Chapter 37: The Walk and Talk

Zoran's POV

Ray and I stood up at Aslan's request for us to follow him. After we got out of the conference room, I turned to her. She only looked at me, just as confused, and shrugged. Then Aslan spoke, "Let us go to the gardens. It'll be quiet there,"

We both nodded and followed him. I heard footsteps behind us and turned around to see Susan and Peter following us. They both kept their faces neutral so I couldn't get a read on what was going on. Did Ray and I do something wrong? I thought everything was ok and we're getting crowned king and queen. I thought to myself as we continued to walk in silence. I got so into my head, I didn't notice that we had reached the gardens until I almost ran into Ray who had stopped.

"Come up beside me Ray and Zoran, don't worry you aren't in trouble. It's quite the opposite actually, but let us continue our walk as I explain," Ray and I both nodded and went to walk next to the big lion. Up close he seemed much wiser, bigger, and way more majestic.

"Aslan? Why did you have to pull us away from the group?" Ray asked as we began to walk around the gardens. They were full of flowers. It felt like whenever Aslan passed, the flowers were a bit brighter.

"It's because this is a conversation for only you two at the moment. I had this same conversation with Peter and Susan a long time ago and then I talked with them away from everybody else. I'm going to do the same with you," Aslan paused before continuing, "Now you were brought to Narnia to learn and grow. You both have changed and grown into new people. You've become better people than when you first arrived in Narnia. But there is only so much you can learn here in Narnia,"

"What do you mean by that? I don't understand what you mean by we can only learn so much," I said

"Well, it has always been meant for anyone from your world who comes into Narnia to know me and this land for a little bit before they return to your world. By knowing me for a little bit, you return home with the ability to learn to love life a new way,"

"Su and I got to come to Narnia twice and it was enough. We became old enough to start our adult lives and learn to live on our own. Ed and Lucy weren't yet at that age or ready. But we were," added Peter

"So you're saying that it's a good thing Zoran and I have grown as much as we have?" Ray said

"Yes. But I don't think you're seeing the point I am trying to make," Aslan stopped talking to let us think

I thought for a moment, Why would he be telling us this is if... Oh. I nodded my head and Ray looked at me funny before I think she too figured out what he was trying to tell us. "You're telling us because of how much we've grown these past few weeks or however long we've been in Narnia, we've learned all we can here and therefore will not need to come back to Narnia. Am I right?"

Ray nodded her head in agreement as Aslan turned to both of us. "Yes that is correct, you've learned almost all you can,"

Ray's head tilted in confusion, "Almost?"

"Did you really think we'd assign you two roles in the kingdom if we intended to send you back right now? You still have a little bit to learn" Susan said as she laughed a bit

"Oh, that would make more sense. So we get to stay? But for how much longer?" Aslan stopped walking and turned around, he then sat down. We had reached a part of the gardens where there was beautiful gold, blue, and white flowers surrounding an old oak tree. We went and stood in front of him. Susan and Peter went to stand by his sides.

"Well, my children that is entirely up to you,"

"What? How-w do you expect us to know? Shouldn't we ask the others what they think? That's only fair," Ray began to ramble on while I went into my head for a minute

Ray was still talking and looked at me for help. I stared back at her before turning back to Aslan and said, "Ten years"

"What? Are you insane? What about back home? I want to be able to graduate and finish high school. Zoran ten years is--"

She was cut off by Peter, Susan, and Aslan laughing, "Time works differently here child. Trust me, you'll be back right where you left off. Don't worry about that,"

"Ten years is perfect. It's about the same amount of time we stayed in Narnia the first time around. Though we didn't intend to go back. It kind of just happened," Susan smiled as she spoke

"To be honest, I wish Sue and I had gotten a heads up like you all. But it is what it is,"

Aslan stood up again, "It is settled then, you'll remain here in Narnia for about ten years. The only thing I ask of you is to not let the others know. I fear that would make them act differently. Als do not tell them about this conversation,"

We both nodded our heads. "So that's it then, we get to go live a life here and then go back in ten years,"

"Yes. Now that is all I have to tell you. Let us head back and enjoy some dinner," Aslan said as he began to walk back. Ray and I followed behind smiling while holding hands. It's going to be a fun time this life. I just hope it doesn't go by in a blink of an eye.