Chapter 1: What Started Out as a Typical Day...

Anna's POV

It was a nice fall day where the leaves were beginning to turn into multiple colours and the wind was crisp. The halls smelled like pumpkin spice and black tea from the number of Starbucks drinks that were going around. The whole school was beginning to get ready for homecoming as well. There were flyers advertising the dance all over the walls. The walls were also covered by the giant posters with the pep rally themes and spirit days on them. Of course the dance and game weren't for a few weeks. But it was still nice to see the school beginning to get ready. It was something to look forward to, but it wasn't the reason why I was no longer paying attention to my civics teacher.

No, I was instead longing for a sense of adventure. I missed it and longed to feel the rush of excitement that came on an adventure. I am sick and tired of this damn class. Honestly, why do we even have to take this class? It's not like any of us high schoolers care about how the government works. We don't even have a say in it yet. And this isn't even the interesting part of governing. At least the weather outside is nice. It reminds me of...

My thoughts were interrupted by my civics teacher saying, "Ms Kesler?"

Oh shit... what did she ask? I thought to myself as I tried to figure out what on earth she had just asked me. I tried my best to hide the fact I was looking for clues to answer the question. Luckily my eyes landed on my best friend Miranda who turned and mouthed the words "first amendment".

I sighed, "The first amendment is the five freedoms. Freedom of speech, religion, petition, assembly, and press. It is one of the things that makes America unique because some countries don't have the luxury of saying whatever they like"

My teacher smiled "That is correct. Now, who can tell me the difference between them?"

I rolled my eyes and went back to doodling in my notebook. I swear this class is ridiculous sometimes. I mean I could be doing other things. I know he said we'd go back but honestly how long does he expect us to wait? I thought to myself as I began to relive the adventure of a lifetime that I had been on last year.

Last year, 2015

"Come on now Ava that's cheating. You can't change the subject now. Tell me," I said. I was sitting in the middle of my homeroom with my friend Ava. We were supposed to be studying for our history exam that was later that day. However, we had gotten distracted with the gossip Ava was going to share with me.

"Not before you tell me why you kept looking at Patrick Flynn" she whispered and looked at me with a mischievous look in her eyes.

"What?!? You're crazy. I'm not looking at him! What on earth would make you think that?" I replied in total shock

"Oh come on Anna. It's so damn obvious. You keep looking to your left every few minutes. And who do we know that is sitting to our left? Patrick. You know, I swear to God that one day you'll ask him out or he'll ask you out. He isn't my type but he is cute, I'll give you that."

"As if. I'd never have a chance with a guy like him," I said while turning back to my work. Patrick Flynn was the boy that I just had to have a crush on. Every girl in the school probably did for that matter. No one really had a chance with him and as expected because he is very popular, a hockey player, with smooth soft-looking blonde hair, and the cutest eyes. His eyes were this dark brown colour that almost looked black. But there was something about him I could never quite place. Maybe it was because I had a crush on him, but it seemed like there was more to know about him.

I got out of my head and went back to studying for the history test. I was stuck on remembering a certain date so I looked up to ask Ava. "Hey Ava, did you-" I started to say before I realized she was gone. And for that matter so was everyone else. I sat up and looked around. I noticed that even our teacher, Mr Huges was gone. That's odd. I didn't hear anything and I wasn't listening to music I thought as I began to get up.

"Hey, Anna. Do you have any idea where everyone went? I mean even Mr Hughes is gone which never happens." I heard a voice ask me. It came from my left and I turned towards it. I saw that Patrick and I were the only ones left in the room

"No, I have no idea actually. I was just about to try and find out what happened. I thought I was the only one left" I replied. Anna, do not make a fool of yourself. He knows your name and has actually spoken to you. So keep it together. I thought to myself as I walked over to him.

Just then, in a blink of an eye, everything else disappeared too. The books, the tables, the chairs, everything just vanished. What used to be the classroom was no longer there. The classroom was completely gone and the room had become solid white. The only visible thing was a single door. The door was the only thing left in the room besides myself and Patrick.

He turned and looked at me, "Ok I must be dreaming or something because this is just plain weird. I mean where are we? And where does that door lead?"

"I have no idea. But you aren't dreaming unless we've found a way to have the exact same dream. This feels real, but honestly, I have no clue as to what is happening,"

"Just great. So now what? Do we just sit here and wait for something to happen? Or do we wait for help to show up? I mean my phone isn't working so I bet yours isn't either,"

I nodded. Then an idea struck me, "what if we went through the door? I mean it's not like there's anything else to do here. As you can clearly see, there's nothing here besides that door,"

"I mean you're right but do we have any idea what's behind that door? No. I mean what if we walk through it and fall to our deaths? Should we risk it? That door could lead anywhere, a good or a bad place,"

"I hear what you're saying. But do you really think that anyone is going to come to help us? We are in a white void type thing. I say our best bet is that door. I also highly doubt that we'll fall to our deaths by walking through a door. You're being dramatic,"

"Well don't say that I didn't warn you if we do," laughed Patrick as we made our way to the door. It was a wooden door that looked a lot like a normal classroom door. The only thing different was that bright light was coming through the window and the door was much bigger than your average classroom door. Patrick gripped the doors handle and opened it, "Ladies first," he grinned.

"Oh don't mind if I do," I grinned at him as I walked through the door. But then I couldn't put my foot down. I then realised I was actually falling to my death. Oh FUCK!!! I thought as I screamed. I was falling and I had no idea where I was falling to or how I would survive the fall.