Chapter 29: The Toll

Anna's POV

I woke up the next morning as confused as I was yesterday. I kept running scenarios in my head trying to figure out the logical way to fix the problem that was now present. I stopped lacing up my boots to think for a second, Patrick is an amazing guy and if we wind up being sent home he comes with me. While Edmund is well there's something so strong there, like an unbreakable connection, and I don't want to lose it but he won't come back with me after all this. I groaned and then had to undo my shoes since I managed to lace them together somehow.

"General Anna, Queen Lucy is here to see you. Shall I send her in to see you?"

I finished fixing my boots and stood up, "Yes please do," Lucy walked right in looking like she was in high spirits. She was in a red dress with white stripes. She took a seat in one of the chairs in my tent and looked up at me. "To what do I owe this pleasure,"

She laughed, "Oh it's nothing that serious but if you wouldn't mind taking a seat, there is something we need to discuss,"

"Of course but now you're freaking me out a bit,"

"Don't worry too much," she then sighed, "How are you feeling Anna? Like, be honest, Aslan told me what happened," I started to open my mouth, "But before you go and freak out, no he didn't tell anyone else. Just me. He thought it was for the best that I knew about what had happened since we are connected and all,"

I nodded, "So what exactly do you want to know then?"

"I want to know if you're up and ready to lead,"

I was silent for a second, "is anybody ever ready to lead?" She looked at me puzzled, "Look, I was put into this position because of a prophecy. But I did it, I led everyone to battle and raised an entire fucking army. I survived physical and psychological toture. I barely escaped that dark dark place. So if you're asking me if I'm ok the answer is no. I don't think I'll ever be ok. But if you're asking me if I'm ready to lead again the answer is yes. It'll always be yes since well I didn't have a choice in the first place. Why stop now?"

Lucy was silent for a minute thinking about what I said. Then she looked away, "I only ask because I don't want you getting killed,"

"Lucy what on earth are you talking about? I'm not gonna get killed. I'm not to brag or anything, but I'm the best fighter here. Plus I'm a fucking Phoneix so I don't think it'll be an issue. What's really going on here?"

"I'm not supposed to tell you but I guess I don't have a choice. You see, there's a chance you might not be able to use your powers,"

"What? How come? Why? What?"

Lucy sighed and started pacing around my tent, "You remember the weapon that Natalie warned us about," I nodded, "Well we believe that Adam is planning on bringing the weapon to the battlefield. Which is why all of us are leaving. And by us I mean me, Edmund, Aslan, Susan Peter, etc."

"What why? What would that do for us? That makes zero sense,"

"You see, all of us that came from Aslan's Kingdom are technically dead. It takes magic to keep us all here. So if Adam does have the machine then, well it could get really bad quickly. I want you to only use your powers at the last moment and only as a last resort. Unless of course the machine gets taken down,"

"So you're leaving,"

"Yes. I'm afraid we must. But Anna," I turned and looked at her as she knelt before me, "I want you to know that I believe in you. I know that you can lead these people to victory. While they may not be your people, just yet, they will follow you if you show them your strength."