Chapter 27: Penny For Your Thoughts?

Ariana's POV

I looked up from where I was sitting on the fence. I saw Aslan sitting next to Anna who was reading a book. They looked like they were having a deep conversation. I went back to sharpening my sword. I wonder what that's all about? I hope it's nothing too bad.

I heard someone come up to the fence near me, "Your grace," said Jackson as he took a bow.

"Oh stop it, Jack. You know how much I hate that," I said laughing

"But your majesty it would be rude not to," I rolled my eyes at him as he jumped up on the fence and took a seat next to me, "You know, you're the only one that calls me Jack,"

"Really? Is that so?"

"Yup it sure is. I like it though, makes me sound less like a kid in a way,"

I scoffed at that, "we're all still kids. Just that, well, some of us had to grow up earlier than most people,"

"I will agree with you on that. None of us expected to be here let alone lead and fight in a war," he looked over to where Anna and Aslan were talking, "What do you reckon is happening over there?"

"I'm not sure. Hopefully nothing too serious. Anna has been through enough as it is. No one wanted or thought that she would endure that much suffering in one month. It's heartbreaking to be honest,"

Jackson just sat there quietly and nodded. We watched Anna get up and walk away with Aslan. Jackson looked like he was lost in time or something. "Penny for your thoughts?"

He turned and looked surprised, "YOU actually know that reference?"

I doubled over laughing at that, "Why yes I do. Though here we say, 'Lion for your thoughts' since that's the currency here. But Anna once mentioned something about pennies in a wishing well. But what's a qu-art-er?"

Jackson shook his head, "It's a type of coin. It makes up ¼ of a dollar. And a dollar is like paper money,"

"Hmm. Interesting. Your world is very strange and yet it is also similar in many ways,"

"Well, I suppose perhaps in a way they are connected. I mean there's the whole clone situation. I mean shot Adam had his own Kpop bands. Plus some of the technology you guys have here is also in our world. I also love how you've incorporated technology with what we call medieval style. It's really cool. So I'd like to think they are connected to,"

"Yeah, I would too," we then sat in peaceful silence until I heard hooves coming up to Jackson and I. I turned and saw that it was Duralgias.

"Your grace and my lord, Aslan has called everyone to the conference tent,"

"What is it about? I'm not in the mood to talk about politics or start discussing what happens after the war,"

"No my lady. It's umm... it's about our next move against Adam"

"What? So soon? Anna hasn't even recovered?" said a very surprised Jackson

"Apparently it was her idea,"

I guess this is why they were meeting together. "Duralgias please ride back and tell them I'll be there in a second. I'm going to walk back with Jac-- I mean Captain LeBelle. Tell them to go ahead and start without me,"

Duralgias rolled his eyes and then nodded. We hopped off the fence and walked toward the main tents. "What was that about?"

"Duralgias thinks that I should maintain professionalism with you guys. Something about things will change when and if I become queen and show favour. I don't know but it's dumb,"