Chapter 21: Rise

Anna's POV

My condition was getting worse. The torture was not only physical but also psychological now too. Some days I got both types. I still had yet to reveal anything to Adam but, parts of me were considering it. However, the other day, Adam insulted me very badly and I was sick and tired of not doing anything. I decided to get back at him. Adam had given me a new performance that required me to wear a short red dress that also enhanced all my features.

My prisoner clothes will do very nicely for this performance. It fits with the song too I thought to myself as I discarded the red dress. Marissa walked through the door.

"Anna? Why aren't you dressed? You go on in like five minutes! I'm here to give you the serum,"

"I'm getting back at the King safely. This is my way of jabbing at him. Now if you only give me half a dose, will I still have my bruises and scars?"

"Yes. I believe so,"

"Excellent. Give me a half dose,"

She sighed and then nodded. "I'm only doing this because I have a feeling you won't take no for an answer. So I will give you half a dose but you better know what you're doing and the consequences that could come with this,"

I nodded at her and headed for the raising stage platform. "I know what I'm doing. At least I think so,"

(Play song 19) The lights went fully off with the exception of a single white spotlight. The platform rose up, bringing me to the middle of the stage. I was kneeling on the ground. I looked up at the audience who had fallen silent.

I won't just survive

Oh, you will see me thrive

Can't write my story

I'm beyond the archetype

I won't just conform

No matter how you shake my core

'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

I grabbed the microphone stand and pulled myself to my feet revealing my scars and prison clothes. There were some gasps in the crowd as they could now see my injuries. Once standing I kept singing.

Oh, ye of so little faith

Don't doubt it, don't doubt it

Victory is in my veins

I know it, I know it

And I will not negotiate

I'll fight it, I'll fight it

I will transform

Then two aerial ribbon dancers came down onto the stage. They started dancing in them and wrapping themselves up into the ribbon and falling back down. I began to walk around the stage and dancing a bit.

When, when the fire's at my feet again

And the vultures all start circling

They're whispering, you're out of time

But still, I rise