Chapter 23: The White Stag

Humphrey's POV

I was waiting. Just waiting for something to happen. Then it did. A girl ran out from the tunnel into the tree line. I was heading toward her when she stopped and stumbled to the ground. I ran to her as fast as I could. When I reached her I noticed she was truly suffering. (play song 21) Her breathing was shallow and her back was covered in blood. I could also sense that there were other wounds on her body.

I knelt down next to her and nuzzled her. She groaned and could barely move. Grab onto my neck dear child. I will keep you safe I told her with my mind

Are you talking to me in my head? She asked

I laughed to myself Yes my child. I am. Now please climb onto my back and let me take you home.

Alright she weakly thought as she weakly grabbed her neck. I pulled her the rest on the way onto my back. I fear I am dying but might I know your name?  And what are you?

My name is Humphrey. And yes you are sort of in risk of dying. Like you, I too have magic. I am going to use it to keep you alive. However, it won't stop the pain but it will stop the bleeding and withdrawal symptoms until you leave my back. You will feel weak though. I am a white stag.

That's ok, as long as I'm not taking back to that dark place, I'll be alright. Also you look like the deer from Lord of the Rings mixed with the deer from Harry Potter. It's cool. I'm Anna by the way.

I nodded and ran on. I head back to the Princess's base camp. But unfortunately, due to the fact that Anna was so weak and dying, I had to take the way around the mountain. It would be about a four to five day journey, I did not fear the guards in the woods, it was Anna surviving the journey. She was so weak that I couldn't keep her talking. Anna kept coming in and out of consciousness.

I ran through a river and up many hills. We had been traveling for about two days. Hey Anna? How are you doing?

Well despite the pain... surprisingly well. I'm half conscious I think. It's all a bit blurry. So I'm resting my eyes

That's ok. I'm glad I could remove some of the pain for you but I apologise for not being able to mask all the pain.

That's ok. How f-ar away are we?

I felt her cough and body jolt. We're no more than three days away, one if we ride nonstop but I'm not doing that to your body. You have enough injuries as it is.

Ok. Well I'm gonna go back to sleep if that's alright

That's perfectly fine. I think we'll travel overnight and stop in the early morning for a short rest. I will let you rest now.

She slightly nodded. We went out of the forest and into the mountains. It wasn't a huge mountain, it was more like giant rock hills. I climbed up the hills. When I reached the top of the highest hill and overlooked the skyline, I saw nothing but nature and beauty in that one moment. I felt Anna lift her head.

"Wow... it's... so... beautiful..."

"Yes it is. Now go back to sleep. We have a long night ahead of us,"

We continued on through the night. I took her through a thunderstorm where the rain was so heavy I had trouble seeing where I was going. Nevertheless, when it got to first light I slowed down and found a spot of grass to rest at. It was dry and away from the storms growing in the distance, toward the castle. I laid down and could feel Anna readjusting to get some rest. I sat down next to her and looked over her. She looked at peace but in pain. Once the sun was fully up I got Anna back onto my back and started our journey to base camp again.

On the beginning of the fifth day, I began to see some familiar territory. I saw the river where the first major battle was fought which meant if I ran as fast as I could, we would arrive at the base camp in three hours.

Humphrey is it much further...

No. Not long now. But there is something I must tell you.

Yes? What is it? Should I be worried?

Well not exactly my lady. You see, during this whole time, I've put sort of a protection bubble around you. It is basically keeping you from feeling your full pain and discomfort. But I fear that when you get off my back when we reach base camp, your wounds will reopen and you may lose your memory of our journey and think this was a simulation or dream.

So when I'm taken off your back, I will experience all the pain and suffering I would've been having during our journey? That's going to suck. Will it happen quickly? Or all at once?

I'm not sure what will happen. I hope it is quick. For your sake, child.

We kept going and going. Finally I saw the front gate to the basecamp, I also noticed the guards saw us too as they were running around. "OPEN THE GATE!!!!" yelled the guards

The gates opened up and guards rushed out to escort us inside. Humphrey what's going on? Are we here?

Yes we are. We've arrived.

She lifted her head up for a split second to say, "thank you,"

All of a sudden a group of people around Anna's age ran out of a tent. They stopped and stared for a second. Then they ran right toward us. "Oh my god! It's Anna!"

The one that reached Anna first was King Edmund. He immediately went up and gathered her in his arms, taking her off my back. She immediately opened her eyes and woke up. She screamed such a blood screeching scream. "GET OFF ME!!!"

"Anna Anna Anna! Anna calm down! It's me! It's Edmund. You're safe now! Please calm down!"

Anna fell silent for a second. Long enough for Edmubd to put her down on the ground. While she was standing there she looked around but then she gasped, "This isn't real. Oh my god he put me a damn simulation! He's gonna find out! NO, NO NOOOOOO!" she screamed and collapsed to the ground.

"ANNA!" Edmund fell to his knees. He touched her back and then stared at it in shock. It came back covered in blood. "HELP! Somebody please help! She needs medical attention!"

People rushed to them with a stretcher. I backed up out of the way but not before hearing Anna say something to Edmund, "If this is a simulation then he knows. He knows everything now if this is a dream or simulation," Anna passed out right afterwards.