Chapter 22: The Escape

Anna's POV

Natalie was lying dead in front of me and I was sobbing. Part of me felt responsible for what had happened. I felt useless and stuck. I did look at what Natalie had given me, it was a syringe with the Strength Serum in it. Just then I heard fast footsteps rushing down the stairs toward my cell. It was Marissa.

"I-I heard a scream and came as soon as I could. Is tha-t Natalie?" stammered out Marissa as she stared at her body

I nodded then got up. "She gave me this," I showed her the syringe, "She also said I need to get out tonight and that you would help me,"

"Yes, that is correct. I have the keys here. But we have to hurry! I overheard one of the guards saying that Adam is activating the weapon tonight" Marissa then pulled out a set of keys and opened the door. I stumbled forward and almost landed on Natalie's body.

"Wait! Before we go I have to use this. We won't get far otherwise,"

"Are you sure? I've seen how badly it affects you when it wears off,"

"Yes. I'm too weak right now and as long as I get out of here before it wears off, I'll be fine." Marissa nodded back at me. I pulled up my rag sleeve and she took the syringe and plunged it into my arm. I felt the serum take effect immediately, and I was ready to go.

We ran through the dark corridors, ducked past guards, and only had to knock out one person. The castle was cold and ark this time of night. Due to the fact it was so late at night, it was easier to run past guards and stay hidden in the shadows.

"Marissa? How much further do we have?"

"Well the tunnels start on the other side of the castle and the tunnel we want unfortunately happens to be a sewer tunnel,"

I looked at her with a digested worried face. She laughed at it. "I'm not swimming through the sewer. While I might not feel any pain from the wounds I have, I can still feel the blood dripping down my back since some of the newer cuts opened up after Adam threw me against the wall. Swimming through literal shit will cause them to get infected,"

"Yeah I know which is why we are going tonight. Today and tomorrow the sewer is practically empty because they empty them once a month. So tonight it should only be ankle deep,"

"Thank god for that,"

We kept running through the dungeons. Finally we reached the other side of the castle and Marissa slowed down. We reached a trap door. It was wooden and had a black handle on it. We pulled it open together. Underneath the door laid a swinging ladder and nasty sewer water. I looked at Marissa, "This is it, isn't it?"

"Unfortunately, yes. Be grateful it isn't full. That would have been disgusting. But jokes aside, you need to get going. I don't know how long you have until--" she was cut off by the sounds of guards running toward us. "Quickly!"

She practically shoved me down the ladder. I paused, "Wait! You aren't coming with me?!?"

She smiled sadly, "If I left with you Adam would automatically know that there was something important about you and we can't have that. Plus you need someone to distract the guards. Don't worry about me. I'll be fine. I've survived this long. What's any different this time?"

I falter before saying, "I WILL come back for you. I promise. I won't let you die in this castle. Just stay alive long enough for me to get back,"

"Alright, if you insist. Now hurry! Go down the ladder and keep running straight. At some point you'll reach a point where the tunnel splits into two paths. Take the left one, it's faster. Whatever you do, don't look back. Run as fast as you can and get out of here like I know you will," she paused, "And tell Ariana I'm so sorry."

"Ok," I grabbed her hand and squeezed it, "Goodbye my friend. Good luck,"

"You too Anna. Now go!" she said as she turned and closed the door to the tunnel. I scurried down the ladder and ran as fast as I could.

I ran down the long dark tunnel. IT was wet, cold, and smelled like the dead. I had made a little ball of fire with my hand so I could see where I was going. All around me I felt this erie feeling around me. But I kept running and didn't stop.

After sometime I finally reached the part where Ariana said the tunnel would divide. I could also begin to feel the serum start to wear off. The pain in my back had returned so I took a breather. Now which path did she say to take? Was it left or right?

I looked at each path. I honestly couldn't remember which one she said to take. So I tried lifting a wet finger in front of each path to see if I felt wind coming from one of them. It didn't work so I sat down for a second to collect my thoughts. Was it left or right? Why can't I remember? I then got up and started to pace back and forth.

I'm going with the left path. When in doubt, always turn or go left. I thought to myself as I headed down the left path. It was getting smaller and narrower. The sewage was beginning to be more watery and it felt like I was running through a smaller stream. The smell had also gotten better. Then all of a sudden I could faintly see some light off in the distance. I had picked the right tunnel. I ran toward the light at the end of the tunnel.

I finally reached the end of the tunnel. I saw that the light was coming from the stars and moonlight as it was the middle of the night. I ran out into the treeline away from the castle, finally feeling free. I almost reached the tree line when there was a loud bang that came from the castle. I stopped for a split second and went into the forest. Then all of a sudden I felt as if my magic was draining and I gasped in pain. I stumbled to the ground. The last thing I saw was a bright white light and then the world went dark.